Hummingbird Cupcakes

Baking By amaryllis756 Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm by Osgirl

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 4

I found this recipe on the internet, from my experience, it looks as if it will turn out really dense and too moist. Will it have trouble rising? Should I add some baking soda or powder to help it rise? I had when my cupcakes come out flat and then sink. Hummingbird Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix

2 cans (8 oz. each) crushed pineapple, well drained

1 cup mashed fully ripe bananas (about 3)

1 cup BREAKSTONES or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

3 eggs

1/4 cup oil

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1-1/2 cups chopped PLANTERS Pecans, divided

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 tsp. vanilla

1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar

Directions
Heat oven to 350°F.

Beat first 7 ingredients with mixer until well blended. Stir in 1 cup nuts. Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups.

Bake 25 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Gradually beat in sugar. Spread onto cupcakes; top with remaining nuts. Keep refrigerated.

How to Toast Nuts:
Toasting nuts adds crunch and intensifies their flavor. To toast nuts in the oven, spread nuts in single layer in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 min. or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. To toast nuts on the stovetop, place nuts in ungreased skillet. Cook on medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently. To toast nuts in the microwave, place up to 1 cup of nuts in a microwaveable shallow dish. Microwave on HIGH until fragrant and crisp, stirring every 30 sec.

How to Prepare in Round Cake Pans:
Prepare as directed. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round pans. Bake 30 to 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 min. in pans on wire racks; remove from pans. Fill and frost with prepared frosting.

How to Soften Cream Cheese:
Place completely unwrapped package of cream cheese in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 10 sec. or just until softened. Add 15 sec. for each additional package of cream cheese
* Or can someone suggest another recipe with a cake mix?

3 replies
Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

That seems like a lot of pineapple. I have the recipe from Georgetown Cupcakes and it only calls for 1/2 cup of pineapple. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how it good it is.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the tip. It did seem like an awful lot of pineapple to me too. Especially when you consider how "wet" pineapple is.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 4

That does sound like a lot of pineapple. I have been planning to use Georgetown Cupcakes recipe. Maybe compare your recipe to theirs. Their recipe is on Martha Stewart's website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%