German Choco Cake

Decorating By tal Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm by DianeLM

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a wedding cake for 225 ppl. one of the tiers is to be a German choc cake with the pecan/coconut frosting. But the bride wants the all the tiers covered in a light vanilla buttercream (white in color)....so do I use the pecan/coconut frosting as a filling? Then cover the tier in BC?????

thanks so much,

Lis icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 8

Yep. Use the pecan/coconut as the filling.

My wedding cakes are all four layers of cake and three layers of filling. I usually use vanilla bc as the middle filling, but when I'm making German choc, I use the pecan/coconut for all three filling layers.

Don't forget the dam. icon_smile.gif

tal Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 8

thanks for reminding me about the dam - almost forgot!

the bride has decided NOT to go with Germ choco (yeah), but they do want different tiers with different flavored cakes/fillings.

question - let's say i use choco cake/choc bc on one tier; wasc/van bc 2nd tier; red vel/crm ch 3rd tier; and chai latte cake/whit choc bc.....will all these different flavors of FILLINGS still taste ok if I cover the entire cake in vanilla BC? I keep thinking it's too much?!?!?!

I have to serve 225 ppl and bride wants a bridge/fountain cake (never done before), using round pans but I am really struggling with trying to come up with a display or proper proportions for 225 using Wilton's chart???

can you help? thank you so much!

lis
[email protected]

DianeLM Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 8

Fear not. icon_smile.gif Different cakes and fillings are standard procedure. Vanilla bc is about as neutral as you can get. It complements - or at least doesn't compete with - all the flavors you listed. What would your alternatives be?

You may want to remind your bride that with so many different flavors, there's a good chance guests are going to want to try more than one. She may not care, and that's okay, but it's worth mentioning. I like to combine different cake/filling flavors in each tier. For example, two layers of choc cake with choc filling, two layers of white cake with raspberry filling, separated by a layer of vanilla bc filling. So, each slice of cake has TWO flavors. No need for seconds!

tal Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 8

so let me understand you correctly - one tier could have 2 cake flavors w/ two filling flavors - in between

1 tier = 4" high choco cake
choco BC
choco cake
BUTTERCREAM (VANILLA)
red velvet
crm ch
red velvet

is this what you mean?

DianeLM Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 8

That's exactly what I mean. icon_smile.gif

The newest wedding cake in my photos was:

butter pecan cake
cream cheese filling
butter pecan cake
vanilla buttercream
WASC cake
raspberry filling
WASC cake

When it came time to decide which flavor would go on top, I figured that, when the cake was cut, cream cheese dragged into the WASC layers would be better than rapsberry being dragged into the butter pecan layers. Usually, I don't even give it that much thought. icon_smile.gif

tal Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 8

i never realized all the detail involved in this....I'm so glad you posted that infor.......that was very helpful!!!

thanks again and I hope you don't mind if have questions in the future, that I contact you?

sincerely,

lisa

DianeLM Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 8

Oh heck yeah. It's amazing how many hours of labor go into a cake before you even get to the decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%