Modeling Paste

Decorating By loreta Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm by loreta

loreta Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 10:50am
post #1 of 10

im trying to make some cartoon characters and have been practicing with play doh. This is a first time for me and the play doh isn't very easy to work with. When using the real thing, in this case, an edible modeling paste, will it be easier for things to stick together and keep their shape? I really need all the help I can get. The party is a week today and I need to finish the figurines by wednesday so I can get started with the cake!!!!

9 replies
Torimomma Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 10

Fondant is much stickier than play-doh but I'm not sure if it's the right thing for figures. It doesn't dry fast and you run the risk of them slumping. You need to mix gumpaste with the fondant or some Gum-Tex. Some people make the larger portions of figures with RKT and then cover with fondant or gumpaste so that they retain their shape.

Mandyjb74 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 10

i have always used fondant with cmc which makes modelling paste and then use the cmc and water as a edible glue. if you are worried about them sinking or falling to pieces makes different bits at a time and give them some drying out time before you glue them.
i'd start now for next weekend if i was you

alanahchar Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 10

you could use cocktail sticks to hold them together

loreta Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 10

I'm not sure exactly what this is that I am using, on the package I have there is written " Mexican Paste, an edible modeling paste" like I said, I am very new to this and when I explained what I wanted it for, the guy gave me this!!! I think I'll go ahead and mix the contents, it also says it will keep a month in the fridge so I guess I'll be ok... Just wish me luck, I'm going to need it!!!!

Mandyjb74 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 10

Mexican paste is modeling paste so is the write thing to use the only thing I would say is don't put it in the fridge when you have made your models keep them in a cardboard box in a cool place

loreta Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks Mandy, I'll keep that in mind. I made the mixture this afternoon and planning on starting tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time icon_smile.gif

Mandyjb74 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 10

It will be fine what characters are you making? If you need any advice feel free to ask

Rosanaymi Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 10

You can take the fondant and add 1 tablespoon of tylose or cmc for every lb of fondant this will make it modeling paste and this will make the fondant dry faster and firmer. You can also make it by adding 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste. I prefer the tylose because it is easier to work with (for me) and believe me I have tried practicing with play doh and it is not the same because to me fondant feels more thicker and it holds better the shape. To make the paste you can use water only but it works better using a bit of water with some tylose in it.

loreta Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 10

I'm making Mickey & friends... Got mickeys bod read and minnie's legs and shoes. Have to let them dry out till tomorrow, then will try to finish them and start on the other three. It was harder then I thought but I'm pretty happy with what I have done. You can tell who they are, even Minnie's goofy shoes!!!!
The cake is going to be mickeys face, then I'll have the figurines around it. If I have the time I'm going to try tho do the playhouse too, but it will be unedible, just a structure covered with frosting icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%