Wedding Cupcakes

Baking By melonball Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 11:37am by Relznik

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 10:35am
post #1 of 3

My friend has asked me to make cupcakes for her wedding inn October she wants Vanilla with Vanilla frosting and chocolate with Chocolate frosting, both with rose swirls on top.
And she wants 140 in total 70 of each.
The ingredient cost is about 35p each, I was thinking of charging her £1.20 per serving with a £50 deposit for the stand. It would come out at £218 with deposit returned on return of stand.
I know the going rate is about £2.50 per serving around here but I don't know if that is ones that have more intricate design.
And have googled another company who would charge £338.
And I am just starting up doing this so I will be using photos of the cakes for my business too.

Does that sound fair? Or should I charge more?

Also for those who do cupcakes for weddings do you contact the venue yourself and arrange when to go and set up etc?

2 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:36am
post #2 of 3

By the time you get to about the the third dozen, you'll start to understand WHY people charge more than £1.20

I have just finished a 3D tube train cake with 140 matching cupcakes. In fact, I'm on here, whilst I'm waiting for the customer, who is now 34 minutes late.

I didn't get to bed last night.

I am losing the will to live.

Oh, and I have another cake to do for tomorrow. It's baked. I've done some of the decoration. But that's as far as I've got.

Seriously, though. Yes, it's nice to have pictures for your portfolio - but you DO need to start out charging a reasonable amount. Because one you start really low, people will look at you like you've got two heads when you put your prices up to 'normal' cost.... Most will go look elsewhere for another newbie who doesn't know the value of their work! icon_wink.gif

The person who works for nothing will never be short of things to do!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:37am
post #3 of 3

Sorry - meant to say - I do contact the venue to see what time everything will be set up. I don't like to get there toooo early, because I figure the longer the cake is out, the more opportunity there is for someone to knock into it, LOL!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%