Non Wedding Cake Tasting

Decorating By imagineiticed Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 12:45am by verosuperstar

imagineiticed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagineiticed Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #1 of 8

i am pretty new to decorating, at it now for 2 years. While I have recently had a wedding cake order they didn't require a tasting so I haven't really put much thought into it. However I have recently been asked about a cake tasting for a non wedding cake. I know before a bride and groom shell out hundreds of dollars for a cake they want to taste said cake but for a $50 party cake I'm not sure how to handle it.

1) should I charge for a tasting and if so what's fair?
2) does anyone else out there offer tastings to clients that are not there for a wedding cake? Or should I just have them order a small version of the cake they are after?

Any help you all can offer would be great.

Lisa

7 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 8

I offer tastings on servings of 100 or more. You can always ask how many servings they are looking for then let them know you only do tastings for a 100 servings or more. I would never do it for a $50 order and they shouldn't expect it. Of course, you will have some, but you just have to explain your policies.

imagineiticed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagineiticed Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 8

Thank you that's a great idea! thumbs_up.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 8

Agreed. We only do free tastings/consultations for wedding and large events. If they really want to try your cake before they order the party cake, they can order an 8 inch or a dozen cupcakes.

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 8

Funny this subject was brought up....I'm very new....did my first fondant cake Easter...people have been asking me to make cakes every since...had a lady inquire about a Mickey Mouse cake for her 4 year olds birthday. I gave her a price and then didn't hear from her for 3 weeks (my cakes are VERY reasonably priced) then today I get an email from her wanting to know if she could get samples.....REALLY?? For a 8" cake? REALLY?? I just told her I don't do samples but if I could help her otherwise let me know.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:35am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicakes63

Funny this subject was brought up....I'm very new....did my first fondant cake Easter...people have been asking me to make cakes every since...had a lady inquire about a Mickey Mouse cake for her 4 year olds birthday. I gave her a price and then didn't hear from her for 3 weeks (my cakes are VERY reasonably priced) then today I get an email from her wanting to know if she could get samples.....REALLY?? For a 8" cake? REALLY?? I just told her I don't do samples but if I could help her otherwise let me know.

Part of the reasoning for this, I think, is that people are used to storefront bakeries where they can come in anytime and try a cupcake or whatever before they order something bigger. (Of course they would still have to pay for it!) You just have to educate people that as a strictly custom cake business, you don't have samples on hand anytime. We get asked if they can come into our shop for a sample all the time, and we just let them know the nature of our business. The majority of people are fine with it once they understand.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 8

I only offer formal tastings/consultations for weddings or events with 100+ servings. If someone wants to taste for something else, I put together a Baker's choice to-go box filled with small samples of whatever I have on hand.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:45am
post #8 of 8

The other day a lady ordered a flag cake but because her boss was soo picky she needed to taste it and see how it was going to look so she wanted a small flag cake before ordering the big one. I said of course but i am going to charge you for the cake (she wanted a waving carved flag). She said, "oh oh ok, i can pay you for it". Was she thinking i was going to make a carved flag cake for free as sample? Well, she truned to be my best costumer, she always orders big cakes wrapped in fondant with 3d decorations now icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%