Cake Flour. . .is It Me???

Baking By forheavenscake Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm by Britt-K

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:54am
post #1 of 12

Ok, every time I have tried using cake flour in a recipe it just comes out SO thick and dense. I tried another recipe today (found online that people raved about). I followed it to the "T" and i just couldn't stand the texture of the cupcake.

Is this a personal preference thing, or am I doing something wrong with the cake flour?? I'm thinking about trying to make the recipe again but just using regular flour instead.

But just wanted to find out if I'm doing something wrong or if this is how they are suppose to come out. It was incredibly sticky and thick...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

11 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

Since cake flour is a finer grind than AP flour, I think it does make it more dense. But in things like WASC cake, I don't like how AP flour makes it taste (it has that weird super floury taste) so I use the cake flour. Making sure of course to use a bit more than you would with AP flour since it's not a straight up cup-for-cup translation. I don't think you've made a mistake, you probably just don't like it. icon_lol.gif Which is to say your preference is for a lighter, softer crumb. I like that too unless I'm making pound cake. thumbs_up.gif

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:44am
post #3 of 12

You may want to take another look at the recipe or perhaps how you are measuring the flour. In addition to cake flour having a finer grain, it also has much less protein than AP flour. The protein in the flour is what provides the gluten structure, typically making for a sturdier product. In the order of flours, bread flour is a high-protein flour, AP flour is a bit lower, and cake flour has very little protein. That's why the cake flour should help you achieve a lighter, finer crumb than the AP flour.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:48am
post #4 of 12

Are you using a good, brand name flour? I've found that if I use bargain "no name" flour, I get very poor results.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #5 of 12

Perhaps try half cake flour and half regular flour? Are you weighing all your ingredients?

forheavenscake Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for all the input. I am using Swansdown cake flour. I do not weight my ingredients, just measure with a measuring cup?? Is that not good enough?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 12

I've been using Swans Down for a while since WalMart had it on sale for a dollar a box and haven't had any unusual results so that shouldn't be the problem. Weighing the flour is just a lot more precise than measuring. As you know, you'll get more flour in the cup if you scoop as opposed to pour, etc. But weight is the same no matter what. One pound of flour will always weigh one pound.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 12

What is your recipe?

forheavenscake Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 12

3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarita mix
2 T lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
5 T strawberry preserves
1/3 cup tequila
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 12

It is not the cake flour. It is probably the margarita mix you are using. And I'll guess it is the process you use to put it together. It is not posted here so I can't be sure.

You have lots of stuff here that will make a cake dense. the margarita mix, the strawberry preserves, a lot of different liquids and probably not enough baking soda to neutralize what looks like a little too much acid in the batter.

Where did you get the recipe? Not all recipes found online are good recipes. And what one person considers the perfect cupcake may be too dense or light for the next.

All things to consider.....

forheavenscake Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks. . I found it online. I've used a couple of other recipes from that site and have LOVED them, so I only assumed this one would be as good. (Strawberry Margarita Cupcake). I also did a batch without the tequila and had the same results. I'll give it another go next week and make some changes and see what happens.

Britt-K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britt-K Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 12

The ratio of the ingredients in that recipe seems kind of off. The amount of wet ingredients seems to be too high, especially combined with the preserves (which also add moisture). If you don't have cake flour you can actually switch out AP flour you just have to change the quantities. It does make a slight difference as stated because of the protein content. But I don't think the flour is the problem. My best advice would be to adjust the recipe or try a different one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%