Pam Baking Spray - Thanks For Ruining My Cake

Baking By Marla84 Updated 10 Sep 2016 , 7:45am by SSCakery541

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 12:53pm
post #31 of 41

Pan grease is the only way to go! I have used it for years and if you want to store for a long time, you can refrigerate it and it wont separate. Love this stuff!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 1:04pm
post #32 of 41

I used to use Wilton's Cake Release.  It worked very well, but the squirt bottle was always getting clogged up, it comes in relatively small quantities, and is not available at the regular grocers.  I learned about the homemade cake release (1 cup flour, 1 cup oil, 1 cup shortening.  Cream the flour and shortening, then add oil) here on CC.  It works great, and is always available and cheap.    I Keep it in the refrigerator in a big squirt bottle.  I can't say that I have had a batch last more than 6 months, but it was absolutely fine for at least that length of time.  It didn't even seem to want to separate, but I give it a shake now and then.  It does not solidify when refrigerated.  

zahnby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zahnby Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:08pm
post #33 of 41

hi, i have used pan grease for years and love it. I also cut waxed paper the size of the cake pan bottom and lightly grease that also. Never have a problem with sticking.

zahnby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zahnby Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:09pm
post #34 of 41

BTW, i use parchment paper also but waxed paper is cheaper

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:21pm
post #35 of 41

waxed paper is good for cake and bad for other entities like cheesecake and brownies -- just saying -- you don't want to know the agony it took nor the words i wanted to say nor my blood pressure reading for me to learn that -- hahaha --

while we're on the subject and yes i know the thread is slightly vintage but relevant still -- i have a friend who never has to wash her cake pans because she is clever enough to conform large sheets of waxed paper into all the nooks and crannies of her pans -- clips off the edges sticking up on top and voila ~ i've always thought she's brilliant for that and other reasons --

think of all the time and back aches could be saved the world over or at least in my life if i/we had been smart enough to do this --

best to all lovers of parchment and waxed paper past present and future

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:30pm
post #36 of 41

public service announcement --

and one other thing --on purpose don't inhale the spray fats -- spray them in your spray chamber or outdoors and wear a mask or at least hold your breath while spraying quickly and turn away from the area after you spray --

we now return you to your regularly scheduled cake board 

(spring green yes! hurry friday!)

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 8:20pm
post #37 of 41

Hey LadiJ153, do you use all purpose flour for this cake release recipe?

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 10:29pm
post #38 of 41

I also use pan grease, applied with a wide pastry brush, and love it.

bettyg0672 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettyg0672 Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 10:33pm
post #39 of 41

I have been using Pam for a long time and I have never had any problems. I wonder what went wrong?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:46pm
post #40 of 41

Yes, AP flour is used when making a pan grease.

Yes, this IS a *very* old post but as K8 said it is still relevant :)  When ever an update is made on a site like this all the old posts show up and most people don't pay attention to the date so they think it is new.  Since there are many, many new people on here since this thread was started they will be reading this information so don't hesitate to add your 2 cents :)

SSCakery541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSCakery541 Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 7:45am
post #41 of 41

Just an update: I use the baking grease now for almost all my cakes (not carrot as it tends to make it stick) ... if you haven't tried it yet you really ought too!!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%