My Cake Pops Slid Down The Stick!

Baking By secondbase Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 4:50am by TheCakeLab

secondbase Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 7

I made cake pops for the first time yesterday. I used melted dark chocolate mixed with some coconut oil for the candy melts (i don't eat dairy, and I haven't found any candy melts without milk in them). I dipped the sticks in the chocolate before attaching them to my cake pops. Popped 'em in the freezer for about 30 minutes prior to covering in chocolate. I left them on the counter over night because my fridge and freezer are both full right now. When I woke up this morning, half of my cake pops had fallen off the stick or slid at least halfway down! Luckily this isn't for an order, just me trying out something new. What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in the the future?

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 7

I've had this happen.

My thoughts? My cake ball mixture was on the wetter side. The first ones I did were still cold from the fridge, and I didn't have any problems with them. The later ones were when I had problems with them sliding, and I decided that they had gotten warm, maybe a little warm in the house, and the added weight to them, plus standing them up on the stick caused them to slid. I stuck them in the fridge to firm them back up while the chocolate was hardening.

After the chocolate was hard on them, I had no problems with them sliding down. Until later, when we had taken them outside, in Texas, and even though it was after dark it was still very, very hot, and with in an hour we turned around and every single pop had slid down.

So looking back, I do think that the wetness/warmth in my kitchen caused issues with the last ones I dipped. And I know the heat outside caused problems with them in that situation.

secondbase Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure what the ratio of cake:frosting is supposed to be, but I think it's safe to assume my cake balls were on the wetter side as well. I live in Nashville and it has been hotter than a you-know-what lately. What have you done differently since then that has been successful?

KoryAK Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 7

Was your chocolate still set up when this happened or is it maybe a problem with using real chocolate and not tempering it?

secondbase Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Was your chocolate still set up when this happened or is it maybe a problem with using real chocolate and not tempering it?

The chocolate wasn't melted this morning, but was a little softer. Maybe this was part of the problem. How do I temper chocolate to make it suitable for coating?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 7

I only had it happen to the last doz and they were out of the fridge the whole time I was dipping. So I know they were at room temp, and it was in the afternoon where the sun comes through my window and makes the kitchen hot.

The next time I made them, I only pulled out a dozen or so to dip, and stuck the dipped ones back in the fridge to harden them up. Once they were hard I didn't have any issues with them.

TheCakeLab Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:50am
post #7 of 7

i agree with pp, humidity has been wreaking havoc with my cake pops lately. less frosting and popping them in and out of the fridge to firm up have both helped. GL with your next batch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%