Can I Refrigerate Mmf?

Decorating By foodyfoo Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 2:42pm by Sweetestdreamcakes

foodyfoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodyfoo Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:41am
post #1 of 6

I have never used mmf before, but was going to try it for the next cake I'm doing. I'm going for a "skin" appearance. I've had bad luck before with the regular store bought fondant as far as going in the fridge, but I was hoping mmf is a little different.

5 replies
aguast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aguast Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 6

I think in the recipe it does say to refrigerate over night? At least that's what mine did (recipe from CC), my problem is that when I went to roll, it would keep sticking to the counter no matter how much powder sugar I would throw down. Anyone have any suggestions, the taste is so much better than regular fondant.

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not an expert by any means....but I never refrigerate my MMF. I keep it wrapped and air tight in my pantry. As for sticking...use cornstarch when rolling out instead of powdered sugar. That's what works for me. Good Luck!

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 6

My MMF does not need to be refrigerated. I do however cover my cakes and put them in the refrigerator if they have perishable fillings and they hold up fine. They will develop condensation when you take them out of the fridge, so you need to let them come up to room temp and allow the condensation to dry (DO NOT WIPE IT OFF!) The condensation will dry on it's own, but if you try to wipe it of you will have a big mess!

Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 6

I never put MMF in the fridge, I make it the day before I need it and wrap it in plastic wrap, as for the sticking I mix some cornstarch with the powdered sugar

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

I keep mine in the fridge all the time. You just have to make sure and take it out of the fridge a few hours before you want to really work with it so that it is warm enough to work. straight out of the fridge its rockhard. to keep it from sticking i use a dap of crisco spread over my rolling mat and pin ( and my hands for that matter).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%