Where To Find Thin Foam

Decorating By Charmed Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 4:12am by Charmed

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:16am
post #1 of 11

I am looking for those yellow color very thin spongy foam for gum paste flowers. you know the kind that wilton sells ... I am looking for a large size and not that small piece of foam from wilton. anyone knows where to buy it?

10 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:49am
post #2 of 11

I get it at Meijer. Michael's has it in the craft section (kids crafts, maybe). It's just called craft foam, i think.

lilly83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilly83 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:39am
post #3 of 11

I went to my local pound shop and got a rolled up camping mat, all I have done is cut it into the size I want, works perfectly!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 11

At Michaels go look in the craft section, and they do have some thin sheets of foam that can be used with cake stuff.

http://www.pmeartsandcrafts.com/en/foam-pads/3780-flower-foam-pad.html

Charmed Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:59am
post #5 of 11

I have seen the michaels craft or fun foams and those are like closed cell foams and I am looking for a open cell type of foam like the ones that nicholas
lodge uses for gum paste flowers. it is yellow and very thin sponge.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:54am
post #6 of 11

I've been trying to find that too....they used to sell it in lots of colors in the craft stores years ago but since the fun foam came out it has been largely discontinued there....maybe an upholstery shop or online at a foam company?

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:09am
post #7 of 11

Hancock Fabric and JoAnn's Fabric. If all else fails, go to an upholstery shop.

Charmed Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 11

I have checked joann they have that green foam but the thinnest is 1 inch. I will check an upholestry shop...

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 11

Hi Charmed,
I think you are talking about the 1/8 inch squishy foam right? That's what I was looking for. I got some awhile back in some gumpaste flowers I bought on ebay. The seller wrapped them in it. I was going to ask her where she got it but lost her contact info. I am continuing my quest to find it and will let you know if I do.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 11

I think you're looking for a Celpad. You can get them at Global Sugar Art. They have them with and without holes.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16793&name=CelPad2%20by%20CelCakes

(edited to correct typo)

Charmed Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:12am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

Hi Charmed,
I think you are talking about the 1/8 inch squishy foam right? That's what I was looking for. I got some awhile back in some gumpaste flowers I bought on ebay. The seller wrapped them in it. I was going to ask her where she got it but lost her contact info. I am continuing my quest to find it and will let you know if I do.

Please if you do find them PM me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%