How To Use Fillings/dams Correctly To Get Enough Filling?

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm by Navyempress

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

So often times when I do the BC dam and then the filling in the center, it seems when I actually serve my cake the layer of filling just doesn't seem to be thick enough. When I try to add more, to make a thicker filling in between layers, the layer on top slides around too much. What am I doing wrong?

4 replies
Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 5

First, what type of filling are you using when it slides? Some fillings are more slippery than others.

Secondly, how thick of a dam are you using? You can use the dam as your guide to getting the filling even. And if you want more filling, you can use a bigger (taller) dam and make the filling higher.

I would be careful not to make your filling layers more than half the height of your cake layers. Your cake is your structure and you want it to be sound.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #3 of 5

If you are using a filling that is a thin enough consistency that you can't put it on thicker, just torte your cake into more layers and have more layers of filling per slice.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

First, what type of filling are you using when it slides? Some fillings are more slippery than others.

Secondly, how thick of a dam are you using? You can use the dam as your guide to getting the filling even. And if you want more filling, you can use a bigger (taller) dam and make the filling higher.

I would be careful not to make your filling layers more than half the height of your cake layers. Your cake is your structure and you want it to be sound.

I think I must need a thicker dam. you don't mean taller, right? Just thicker? This is especially true with custard and Bavarian cream that I get too thin of a layer.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeQT82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyempress

I think I must need a thicker dam. you don't mean taller, right? Just thicker? This is especially true with custard and Bavarian cream that I get too thin of a layer.

If you cut the opening of your piping bag bigger, you will get a thicker and taller dam. You want it to be thick enough to do it's job and hold the filling in, and tall enough for you to be able to get enough filling in without the filling overlapping the edges of the dam. Try measuring out your filling and when you cut into the cake, if it's the thickness you want, you will know how much filling to use each time. If not, add more next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%