I Hate Wilton Colors.

Decorating By VentureSister Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 4:52pm by paula0712

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 11

I really hate the stupid wilton color tubs. They won't give you deep colors unless you use a full (or more) tubs. The stupid lids won't tighten. So if one gets knocked over in your case/container you have that color everywhere. Not to mention when you try to clean the stained containers the label become undecipherable. grrrrrr.

I have discovered Americolor, which I love. Unfortunately, I still have a buttload of wilton colors. Am about ready to take the loss and just chunk them all.

(deep breath)
Rant over. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

10 replies
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 11

I have made a switch to Americolor because of that fact. I teach Wilton classes so I'm gonna let them use it in class to get rid of

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 11

I thought it was just me not tightening them well. I pack them real well, each in individual little compartments and they still leak like crazy.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:12am
post #4 of 11

I agree! It was worth me tossing them out to switch to Americolor!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #5 of 11

Americolor rocks!!icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 11

I have both, and will keep both on hand. I am a WMI, so I do need them, but I do like some of the Wilton colors better than the Americolors. I prefer Wilton's leaf green.

I don't remove the tabbed plastic top. I think that when you remove that, that is what is causing the lid not to close well. So I just take a knife and cut a little bit around the edge and fold it back. I also try to store all of mine up right, but I do that with all of my colors.

While I like the squeeze bottles when the bottle is full I feel like I end up wasting some of the color because I can't get it all out of the bottle. With the Wilton, I can scrap every last drop.

I do still personally fill that you have to use quite a bit of Americolor for darker colors.

Another thing you can do, with either brand is when you are making dark colors, start early coloring your icing. Most of the icings will deepen as it sits, so if you start coloring it the night before, you will end up using less color.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 11

My main gripe with the Wilton colors is how quickly they dry out. They're easy to blend into your frosting when they're fresh, but once they get gummy it is very hard to get them fully incorporated into the frosting without being streaky. Even when I use my mixer to blend the colors in I still get streaks. I live in a very dry area, so maybe mine dry out faster than they do for most people. I end up tossing almost full containers because I get so frustrated with them.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 11

you can add a few drops of glycerine to your dried up Wilton colors. Let it sit for a little while, then mix it up and it should be good as new

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 11

I don't often have mine dry out, and I have had some for years. You can add glycerin to them to restore them back to the non dried out state.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula0712

you can add a few drops of glycerine to your dried up Wilton colors. Let it sit for a little while, then mix it up and it should be good as new

Wow, great tip! I will pick up some glycerine next time I'm at Michaels.

I live in AZ so it is very dry here. Most of the time low humidity is nice for cake decorating, but it does dry out those gel colors very quickly.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 11

I live in Saskatchewan so I know what you mean about low humidity. I'm always "fixing" my color gels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%