Tassel? How Would I Do It?

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 4:34am by angelleyes

angelleyes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 7

I am making my parents a bible cake for the 40th anniversary... I want some kind of tassel laying between the pages.. Any Ideas on how I would go about making one?

6 replies
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

Fondant or gumpaste would work. Do you have a pasta machine? Clay extruder?

If not, you can make it with buttercream using a grass tip.

Kitagrl Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #3 of 7

Don't Bibles usually have a ribbon lying between pages?

MamaDear Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:30am
post #4 of 7

Roll out fondant/gumpaste really really paper thin in a rough rectangle (you will trim later so it doesnt have to be perfect). If you want the tassle two colors roll out two sheets and then after they "dry/set" a little stack them on top of each other.

After a little drying time, take a straight edge and cut the top straight to make the top of the tassle. Then go down a little and make a light mark about 1/2 inch down. Then turn your rectangle to the side and take a pizza cutter or blade (if you want the strings really fine) and carefully cut from that mark all the way down to the end of the rectangle to make the threads.

It is important that the fondant dry some so it doesnt stick but it will be kind of brittle. When you have made the threads, cut straight across the bottom to finish them off and then start at one side of the top and roll it across jellyroll style fanning the "threads" out to separate them. Slightly dampen the last half inch of the top or so to "glue it" and then mold the top to make the ball (you can use a blade to make it look like thread indentations) . Take another strip of fondant and go around the bottom of the ball and cover where the threads start. Finish it out however you want it. I have made several graduation cap tassles this way. Good luck HTH!

angelleyes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #5 of 7

Ribbons or tassel does it matter? I've see them with both.

I wish I had those thing to help me but I dont icon_sad.gif I thought about the grass tip but I don't know if I would be able to get the look I want..

Thank you mamadear I think with your help I might be able to do it.. It's a special cake and I want it to be awesome. Not to mention that's all my mom keeps talking about that she wants is a cake.. NO PRESSURE lol

Thank you all so much for your advice.. U guys rock!!

angelleyes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:34am
post #7 of 7

Wow ty sooo much infinitsky that also helped a lot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%