Sps And Fondant Cakes--When Best To Insert Legs With Plate?

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 4:09am by MerlotCook

cakegirl1973 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #1 of 3

Using SPS for a fondant cake for the first time. I am covering the cakes with fondant tonight, driving the unstacked cakes for 6 hours tomorrow, and then stacking them (3 tiers) on Saturday for a wedding.

Here's my dilemma--should I go ahead and insert the SPS legs with plate tonight while the fondant is fresh or wait until I am ready to stack the cakes on Saturday? I am afraid that if I insert the legs with plate tonight that the cakes might dry out. If I wait until Saturday to insert them, I am afraid the fondant will crack. Any advice is much appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Moovaughan Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

I always stack the whole cake in a trail run to make sure it's level then I take it apart for delivery so I put the "legs" in the fondant when it's still soft. I don't have any problem with anything drying out, it's like the fondant folds in around the spikes.

MerlotCook Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 3

I always insert them before I deliver. To me this removes part of the stress of assembling the cake. I have never found it to dry the cake, I put a loose layer of plastic over it mainly to keep off any "foreign debris".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%