Gum Paste Covered Board...help!

Decorating By carmijok Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm by carmijok

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have not done this before. I covered a board with gum paste and let it dry. Now, when do I put my cake on? My cake still needs work and I won't deliver until tomorrow. Will having the cake on there soften the gum paste underneath and cause it to slide when I move it? I have to keep my cake in the refrigerator. Normally I've never had problems with gum paste decor softening in the fridge after it's dried, but then it's never been directly under a cake before.

This is a cake that looks like a jar so it's sort of top heavy and tends to wiggle a bit (not badly though) when I move it. I'm afraid the GP under it will cause it to be even less stable. HELP!

7 replies
Rosanaymi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosanaymi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 8

why did you use gumpaste in the board instead of fondant?...... Hope somebody can help you with your questions

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 8

Don't you have a cake cardboard under your cake? I use fondant not gumpaste to cover a board but I usually cover the board. Cut out the center of the fondant the diameter of the cake. When I docorate the cake it has a cardboard under it the same size as the cake. When ready I put a little icing in the center of the larger board that was covered in fondant and then place the cake (on the cake size cardboard) in the center of the larger board.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I covered a board with gum paste and let it dry.

I would have used fondant, but as long as you stuck it with piping gel or something--it shouldn't slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Will having the cake on there soften the gum paste underneath and cause it to slide when I move it?

I don't see how the cake would soften the gum paste because the cake won't be directly on top of it... it should be on its own board so you'll be able to lift it without it cracking/crumbling.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 8

I frequently cover my cake drums with fondant or gumpaste, depending on the cake and effect desired, and it works beautifully. As other posters have said, you probably have your cake on a cake circle and it doesn't affect the gumpaste as far as humidity goes (although when I've had a leak in my dam and filling has been something like cream cheese icing, the moisture from my cream cheese icing has "melted" the gumpaste and makes for some awful effects with the colors! So just be sure you don't have any cream cheese icing come in contact with your board ...).

I sometimes cut a circle in my fonmdant/gumpaste to place the cake there, sometimes I don'[t, but the heavier cakes do better without the circle cut out. What I do alwahys always do, though, is use Antonia74's Royal icing as glue. Nice and thick, just moist enough to spread well, I use a good layer and give it plenty of time to dry with the cake in place so that it doesn't slide during transport. I LOVE the stuff ... best glue ever!

Good luck!

carmijok Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:01am
post #6 of 8

I used gum paste because it dries faster than fondant and I read where everyone lets the fondant dry on their boards for several days. I thought, 'why wait that long?' Mine is really dry and adhering to the board well. My gum paste goes to the edge and I will have a ribbon on the side.

I've seen several posts on this subject that say they just put the cake (on its board of course) directly on the covered board...but wouldn't you have to put something like Buttercream (which is what I usually use on a regular board) to anchor it? That was my concern. Making sure it didn't melt or cause instability...which the more I think about it, I guess it's really no different than having it sit on buttercream anyway.

Oh well, at least I've got time in case I screw it up!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:40am
post #7 of 8

You'd use royal icing to adhere the board on the cake to the gum paste covered board. It won't break down the gum paste.

Rae

carmijok Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all! Royal Icing it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%