Advice Needed With Daughters Wedding Cake.

Decorating By mcluff Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm by JSKConfections

mcluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcluff Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 4

This is my first time posting but I come on here and read and research any questions that I might have all the time. I don't have much time to research this time so Here is my question. I am going to make my own daughter's wedding cake, call me crazy but I hate to pay some one for something that I can do. I want to make as much in advance as I can so that I am not spending the days right before her wedding stressed with a cake. Is it possible to bake, stack and fill layers and ganache then freeze for a week? Will the ganache be ok to freeze already on the cakes or will it discolor it. If I do decide to freeze it will several layers of plastic wrap be enough to protect it? I am planing on putting fondant on the cakes as well the day before the wedding after I pull out the tiers of cake from the freezer and thaw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! THanks!

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

I use ganache also but to be honest I have never frozen a filled and ganached cake. I suspect you may have problems with the ganache cracking due to the cake expanding/contracting with the temperature differences. Discolouring if it happens won't matter so much if it will be covered in fondant anyway.

I suggest doing a small test cake before you try it on the real thing!

mcluff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcluff Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 4

I thought about doing a test cake, I was just hoping that someone already had experience with it. icon_smile.gif THanks for your input!!

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 4

I did my daughters cake like this with Ganache filled buttercream crumb coated chocolate cake for her wedding and it was just fine! I guess at the time 2 yrs ago I didn't even think about it...except for like a Sara Lee choc frozen cake is thawed to like a ganache...and those thaw okay. (my mom buys them) I had one with Lemon filling that was fine, and another with cream cheese filling too.

You can go ahead do a small test cake to be sure for your own peace of mind too.

Good luck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%