Help!! With Cake Mix Question....

Baking By NanaCin Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm by tink986201

NanaCin Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

I am making mini cupcakes for a party and am using a yellow cake mix. Can you add lemon juice to the mix after you made it like the package directions. I would like to make a raspberry buttercream and thought lemon cake would be good with it.

Any help welcomed.

7 replies
Becca1007 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have lemon extract? I think that the volume of liquid you would need to add to the mix if you are just using juice might have an adverse affect on the mix.

Does your mix call for water? You can sub in lemon juice for the water but it sounds like you already prepared the mix.

NanaCin Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 8

How much lemon extract would you add.

kimmi1963 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

do you not have lemon cake mixes where you are? That might be an alternative.

Becca1007 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 8

I would typically add just a teaspoon of extract.

NanaCin Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 8

We do but, I had already mixed this one up and thought about making it lemon. I really didn't want to go back out to the grocery. I will try the lemon extract in a small amount and see how I like it.

Thanks for all the help. If i don't like the taste I will just make yellow cake with the raspberry buttercream.

I know they will get eaten.

Thanks Again, Have a wonderful day....

shanter Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaCin

I am making mini cupcakes for a party and am using a yellow cake mix. Can you add lemon juice to the mix after you made it like the package directions. I would like to make a raspberry buttercream and thought lemon cake would be good with it.

I did that once and my cake fell apart. Someone told me that if I added 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice I would have to add 2 Tablespoons of flour to account for the increased liquid. Now I use a lemon cake mix and a teaspoon of lemon extract.

tink986201 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 8

I've added vanilla extract into a cake before and they came out fine. My best advice is to try it, add in a teaspoon at a time if the batter looks to thin I would try adding in flour like shanter said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%