Cupcake Stand - Diy

Baking By Becca1007 Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 2:00pm by bakerliz

Becca1007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca1007 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 28

I posted a photo of my DIY cupcake stand and had several requests for more information, so I figured that I would share.

I do ask however that you build these for your own usage and not to sell.

The assembled stand.

Now this stand is great because you can mix and match sizes in order to get a stand that is the perfect size for your event.

Materials
- 1 sheet of 1/2" plywood (standard US size of 4' x 8')
- ABS/PVC pipe (I used 3" diameter pipe)
- 3/8" Threaded Rod
- 2 - 3/8" Nuts
- Trim board or feet for your base

Start by cutting your plywood using the following diagram. One sheet of plywood will make enough pieces for two complete stands.

The purple sections on the diagram are going to be where you will cut your disks from so you don't actually need to cut the squares, just don't discard those pieces. The black pieces in the diagram are scrap pieces of wood, you will not need those.

Then you will want to cut your pipe to length. I like a little extra room for reaching in for cupcakes so I cut mine to 5 1/2" tall. In this step it is important to make sure that the cuts are level as this is what will keep your cupcake stand level as you stack it. I tried using a hand saw at first and found it made very unlevel cuts. Then sand your edges so they are smooth and level.

Measure the inside diameter of your pipe and purchase a hole cutting drill bit of the same size. Use the areas of the plywood marked in purple to cut disks. You will then affix the disks to the center of the plywood pieces using a bit of wood glue and some finish nails.

For the piece you intend to use as your top, you will affix a disk to only the bottom of the piece. For all other pieces there will be one on the top and one on the bottom.

(this was my top piece, I chose to use the 12" piece as the top of my stand)

Then mark the exact center of each board and drill through with a 3/8" drill bit.

Then use the trim board to finish your base and then paint all pieces white. Make sure to use PRIMER as the wood will suck up a ton of paint.

Once all of the pieces are dry, have fun stacking to determine your finished height and then measure to determine how long of a threaded rod you need. I bought several sizes so that for smaller parties I will only use a couple of levels and for larger parties I can use a taller stand.

Hopefully this is helpful. Sorry that I don't have more in process photos, but I didn't intend to make a tutorial.

All in all, I think this cost me about $75 in materials/tools/paint for two large cake stands.

Let me know if you have any questions.

27 replies
chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 28

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing! I so prefer a square cupcake stand over round.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #3 of 28

You did such a great job at explaining and drawing. Thank you so much for sharing this.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 28

How high did you make the distance between the layers? What measurement did you cut your pvc?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 28

Thanks so much for the tutorial. It was very nice of you to take the time to share the information.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:31am
post #6 of 28

It was very thoughtful of you to share this tutorial - thanks!

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:49am
post #7 of 28

This is awesome! Thank you so much!

jmr531 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:57am
post #8 of 28

Becca1007, where do you place the 2 3/8" nuts? Is one under the base board and another over the top board? I would imagine not since the top board is flat and level.

Becca1007 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #9 of 28

Thanks guys!

The pipe sections are 5 1/2 inches tall (I wanted extra space in between the levels) so they are taller than most standard stands.

The two nuts go one under the base and one at the top. The top one is visible but I painted it white and you don't really see it when the cupcakes are on the stand. You could countersink around the hole in the top piece to try and hide it, but I didn't know how that would affect it structurally.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #10 of 28

I just sent this url to my husband......he now has a project on his next off weekend icon_smile.gif thanks this is one of the best DIY stands I've seen, can't wait to try it!!

jmr531 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:19am
post #11 of 28

Thanks for the info, Becca1007. I wonder if anyone has any tips on how to make the top board completely flat so that a 6" cake can be placed there.

stewy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stewy Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:31am
post #12 of 28

thank you so much for taking the time to post this....greatly appreciated!

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:01am
post #13 of 28

Fantastic tuitorial! Thanks so much. Could anyone tell me how many cupcakes one of these displays can hold? Suddenly now I am responsible for displaying my wedding cupcakes! Wedding only 2 weeks away.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:05am
post #14 of 28

Thank you so much,this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for sharing!

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 28

Thank you for sharing.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 28

wow, thank you so much!! this is a great tutorial!! icon_smile.gif

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 28

Love, Love, Love It!!! Thanks!!

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 28

To have it flat on top there is a nut that you can hammer into the hole that the threaded rod will screw into. It's called a t-nut. It has teeth in it I guess. So you still drill 3/8 hole then hammer in a t-nut and thread your rod so it's flush. Khalstead has a kind of similar technique in building a cupcake stand with the threaded rod, I like this though with the PVC pipe! Great stand!

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks for sharing!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:30pm
post #20 of 28

Thank you for sharing this! i was just telling my husband how I need a better cc stand. icon_smile.gif

Becca1007 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 28

Updating to add a picture of the stand in use...

I would love to see pictures if anyone else builds a stand icon_biggrin.gif

BelaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BelaB Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:21pm
post #22 of 28

This is awesome! Thank you for posting!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #23 of 28

Thanks for sharing! I love the trim around the base!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:29am
post #24 of 28

I love the stand!! I just have one question...What did you use for the bottom of the stand? It looks like a piece of casing ?????

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:57pm
post #25 of 28

LOVE it! This tutorial is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

sugardaddy129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaddy129 Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 9:10am
post #26 of 28

The stand looks sturdy. The most important thing is I can increase the size and holding capacity following the basic construction. My friend was asking to give her some advice on how she can manage to place 100+ cupcakes on a single stand and I think this can be the solution for her problem. Thanks a lot.

sugardaddy129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaddy129 Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 9:14am
post #27 of 28

The stand looks sturdy. The most important thing is I can increase the size and holding capacity following the basic construction. My friend was asking to give her some advice on how she can manage to place 100+ cupcakes on a single stand and I think this can be the solution for her problem. Thanks a lot.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:00pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks! This is great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%