How Do You Make A Fondant Cutout Stand On Top Of The Cake??

Decorating By bakinhoney1980 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 6:31pm by tiptop57

bakinhoney1980 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hey girls and guys, I have a customer who wants a pink owl cake. The cake is two tiers with an owl made from fondant standing on the top. The owl is basically a fondant cutout constructed piece. My question is: How to I get that owl to stay standing on the cake. Can you somehow attach it to a dowel rod and insert into the top tier? I am curious what other suggestions would be. It isn't as though I can tie it to a dowel to insert. This piece would not be 3 dimensional. The picture I was shown had the owl as a flat piece of fondant with the features drawn/piped on.

Any ideas out there??

6 replies
RobinO Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

You could attach it to a lollipop stick using modeling chocolate. Not sure if it would work with a dowel cuz I haven't tried it - I'm sure somebody more experienced than I will be able to give you a better answer icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 7

You can glue "with melted white chocolate" the image onto a wooden dowel(s) and insert it into a straw(s) placed in the cake. Sometimes I use lollypop sticks or flat popsicle sticks. When using the popsicle sticks I do not use the straws. HTH

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 7

I do both...I cut out what ever I need in fondnat..Number,outline etc..Let it dry for a few days and then glue a wooden skewer(The kind you buy to skewer meat or shrimp for the BBQ) with royal icing or candy melt chocolate.

kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 7

Why not make two of them and 'sandwich' the sucker stick between them? I do that all the time for standing things up. Here are a couple of examples:
If the topper is small/light weight use toothpicks. You can also surround the stand-up item w/icing; flowers or other decorations for support.

bakinhoney1980 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 7

I like the idea of the sucker stick between the two panels. That way it looks good from both sides. Do you use the candy melts to adhere the stick between them or what?

tiptop57 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 7

Yes candy melts would work or white chocolate. But remember it will be twice as heavy and may fall so make your design very thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%