Help-On Cupcake Pricing- I Am Very New With This..

Baking By Prissy82 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm by jason_kraft

Prissy82 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 2

I just got into baking even took a course & so far what I have made peopl are enjoying. I am starting to get people asking me how much would I charge for a certain amount for example 3 dozens for a Baby Shower & 100 for a get together... I am very new at this..

1 reply
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 2

You may want to start by looking into the laws in your state, in some states it is illegal to sell baked goods made from home, in which case you would need to rent commercial kitchen space or a church kitchen and get inspected by the health department. Other states have cottage food laws that allow you to sell food made at home, with some restrictions. You'll also want to look into business liability insurance, since homeowner's insurance typically does not cover commercial transactions.

Once you get the legal stuff squared away, you can determine pricing by looking at your costs, including ingredients, labor (paying yourself a fair wage), and overhead (i.e. insurance, licensing fees). A good rule of thumb is to set your price 20-30% above your cost.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%