Getting That Nice Metallic Gold Color.....

Decorating By nikkigonzalez Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 7:58am by sweettreat101

nikkigonzalez Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:55am
post #1 of 4

How in the world to cake artist get that metallic gold color....it literally looks like you dipped your brush into melted gold liquid. I once bought a pearl dust, mixed with vodka and it only came out a little shimmery, then I went to a cake store and asked sales assoc. for luster dust since I heard thats what it was...went home tried what she gave me and it was exactly what I bought the first time. Not sure if she gave me wrong item or if I wasnt asking for the right product. Help Please, I have a wonder woman cake coming soon and I wanted to make sure what needs to be gold is gold and not yellow. Also, where can I buy it online since I just moved to a city with no cake stores! (Going crazy without one!) Thanks!

3 replies
Mandyjb74 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

i used luster dust but i don't mix with vodka just rub it on

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:56am
post #3 of 4

I have used two different products. One is called fondant glaze. The football helmet in my photos was painted with silver fondant glaze. You have to let the coating dry for thirty minutes before adding another coat. The second is gold pearl spray. The spray was really easy to use. Kind of pricey at ten dollars for a small can but worth it. I purchased both online at www.fondantsource.com

sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:58am
post #4 of 4

If you purchase the fondant glaze make sure you color your fondant a golden yellow then paint on the glaze. For the football helmet I colored the fondant a light gray. I think it helps give a more uniform color under the glaze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%