Stacking And Supporting

Decorating By katie725 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 5:53pm by Torimomma

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

i've never made a three layer cake...it will only be one tier but i would like to try 3 instead of 2 layers. does it need support? what about if i decide to do 2 tiers..will it need support then? any advice is appreciated!

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:06am
post #2 of 4

You won't need support if you do 3 layers. You will if you do 2 tiers. The bottom cake can't always support the top so you'll need to have dowels and a thin board for your top tier.

That being said, I always put a dowel in the center of a 3 or 4 layer cake just to be on the safe side if something wants to slide. And I generally always put a center dowel down between a 2 tier cake...not so much if it's going to stay at my house, but if I have to deliver it I like having that security.

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 4

yes, thank you. i have done 2 tier cakes before and am familiar with supporting them.. i guess its just something about 3 layers that is freaking me out haha

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 4

I make a 3 layer carrot cake and never use dowels but I have had slippage due to heat and the fact that cream cheese frosting is so soft. If you are making it for someone and it has to travel I would definitely give it a bit of support and be sure to give the customer a heads up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%