This Cake Just Sounds Butt Ugly!

Decorating By Alexsmommee Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 5:52am by step0nmi

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 7

Maybe I am the one with no taste (I have been told that before; I get a little carried away with the Christmas decorating). When people see this cake, will they think, "OMG! What was that baker thinking!" ?

It is to be a "cute" (MOB's word) groom's cake being served at the rehersal dinner. His family is arranging the dinner, and the MOB is arranging the groom's cake.

It is to be an 11x15 sheet. Hot pink or magenta (she has described hot pink, but is using the words interchangeably) and burnt orange camoflouge cake with a pink Browning symbol on top. Since it is his cake, I got her to switch it to the burnt orange Browning symbol, but she kept saying cute. She wants cute. I just can't get past these colors. And at the last minute she says, "oh yeah, and some black." icon_confused.gif

I even suggested she bring some swatches just so I get this right. She said whatever will be fine. Head shaking. Is this a common color combo, and I am just behind?

6 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

Well around here pink and orange makes me think of Dunkin Donuts. lol

I wonder why they want a pink groom's cake though...I'm thinking it's some sort of inside family joke.

I don't mind pink and orange together...but then again I do love my Dunkin Donut's coffee.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #3 of 7

I like hot pink and orange icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1942684 but I do agree it's an odd color choice for a GROOM'S cake. On the other hand, if I saw a cake decorated tastelessly, I wouldn't think the baker had bad taste, I'd think the hostess had bad taste icon_lol.gif.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #4 of 7

Hot pink and orange was a hot bedding combo a few years ago. I have seen magenta and burnt orange done well but the magenta was a very deep tone. You might consider putting the combos together for the MOB and send to her if possible. The extra step may save you in headaches down the road.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #5 of 7

It may be the wedding colors...hot pink and orange are very popular right now....

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:46am
post #6 of 7

It's hard to make a cake for someone when they have ideas that sound strange to you. I once had to make a "white trash" cake for someone's birthday. It ended up being really cute when I finally came up with a design plan.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:52am
post #7 of 7

Actually, it's the new thing to do girl colors with the camoflage.
best thing to do is find a picture to make sure you're on the same page with whoever is ordering.

i'm thinking something like this: http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/84/51f6df286d4c72e7ed0792e837d60810/l.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%