Copying A Design And Giving Credit...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 1:13am by madcobbler

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:42am
post #1 of 5

I hope this isn't too touchy of a subject...but I really want to know what people think. A bride has shown me a picture of a wedding cake that she'd like. I'd love to make it for her, but then I'd be copying someone else's design. Ideally I'd like to ask for permission to use the design, but what if they say no?! I'd definately give credit to the original designer every time I post the picture.. is that enough?

4 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #2 of 5

Well if you think about it we've all done the ribbon bordered, swiss dot, tiered wedding cake a time or two...someone had to have originally come up with that. lol

Having said that, if someone brought me a custom sketch from another cake designer, I would tell them that I wouldn't copy the design exactly, but I would work with them to make it unique for them.

I usually don't make an exact copy of the cake pictures that client's bring to me for inspiration.

I try to customize every cake to fit the client. But sometimes they really do just want the darn swiss dots, and ribbon border. icon_cry.gif

I think giving credit to the original cake designer is a nice touch if you know who the "original" designer is....but unless it's a design you've never seen anywhere else before, I don't think it's necessary.

JMHO

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of 5

I'ld like to say there is nothing new under the sun and we all get inspired somewhere. Though I would never want to do an exact copy, I always like to say "design inspired by such and such". ALWAYS give credit. I don't like cookie or cake designers who get their panties in a bunch when they see someone do a similiar cake as them, cause THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 5

I tell clients right up front -- I do not copy other people's work. I will, however, do an "inspired by" piece. For example I had a girl show me a picture of a square stacked cake with royal blue ribbon and bright orange fantasy flowers and she said "I want the cake to look 'just like' this." Well try as I could I couldn't talk her out of it but the cake I did for her was square stacked, had royal blue ribbon and orange fantasy flowers loosely based on her picture -- arranged differently so you could tell I clearly did not copy someone else's design. I wouldn't have known who to give credit to anyway. When I show people that picture, I say "it's inspired by a picture the bride brought me" which is accurate and nobody's toes get stepped on. icon_biggrin.gif

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 5

It's fine to do a similar cake that is inspired by the original cake. I always try to make any cake I make my own design such as using a different color scheme, type of flower(s), shape/#of tiers, or border pipings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%