How To Pipe On The Side Of Fondant In Writing

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm by emilyg

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, all! I have a wedding cake request that is basically a few round tiers with lots of fancy words piped horizontally all over it. I have the cake marker that helps to make the lines perfectly straight but what I'm most nervous about is how the writing will STAY on the fondant base being that
1) The wedding is outside
2) The writing is delicate.

I am thinking it needs to be a royal icing. Any ideas?

4 replies
patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 5

i would deffinately use royal icing i have never had a problem with it sliding off fondant youll be fine, but why dont you have a small practice and leave it somewhere warm and see how you go, i find writing on the side of cakes difficult it easy when its on the top but gravity takes over for me on the side good luck

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 5

ANyone use Sugarveil instead?

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

Definitely use royal icing. I would use a layer level for to write on the cake in straight lines. Try propping the rotating stand up an inch or so to give you an angle. It makes writing easier.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 5

Cupcake, this is a great use for SugarVeil. In fact, you can write paragraphs of text onto greased parchment (tracing a pattern placed below, if you like), and when set, peel the entire paragraph in one piece and place it onto the cake. You can do the piping using a parchment cone with an extremely fine hole, or use the Icing Dispenser pictured here, which feels much like a pen when writing: http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/index.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%