To Freeze Or Not To Freeze

Decorating By pammylynn Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 6:03pm by pammylynn

pammylynn Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 3

That's my question.

In the past I've baked cakes on Thursday (evening or so), decorated on Friday, delivered on Friday and they had parties on Saturday and all was good.

Well, I've had something come up unexpectedly that I can't avoid. I have two rather big cake orders. I'm baking today, Wednesday. Should I freeze until tomorrow evening? That's my next opportunity to decorate. Decorating Friday is out of the question. Is it worth the security of an over-night freeze to keep them moist and fresh? Or should I just try to decorate them tonight?

The thought of decorating tonight and they not eating them until Saturday evening (both parties), makes me nervous. Just wondering what others would do....???

2 replies
cakestyles Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 3

I personally don't freeze but many people do with success.

I agree that decorating a cake tonight that won't be consumed until Saturday is pushing it a bit.

Here's my schedule for Saturday weddings.

I bake tonight. (Wednesday), and wrap the layers really well in plastic wrap. My home is air conditioned so the wrapped layers are kept out on my racks in about 68 degree temps.

Thursday, I torte, fill and crumbcoat

Friday, I final ice or fondant and decorate for Saturday morning delivery.

As long as you wrap your layers really well and have a cool place for them there's no need to freeze them if you don't feel comfortable doing so. You could also just put them in the fridge until you're ready to fill, but it's not really necessary as long as they're non-perishable.

pammylynn Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 3

I've frozen before - for my daughter wedding recently. I baked on Mon/Tue, froze them and pulled them out Thursday to decorate...Her wedding was Saturday evening and they were fine.

So either I will wrap them really well, or wrap and pop in the freezer until tomorrow night. I know that freezing won't hurt, will only help, so maybe that's the way I need to go...

Thank you so much. At least we agree that decorating today is probably not a good idea!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%