Calling All Chocolatiers (Or Amateurs)!

Sugar Work By jardot22 Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 6:20pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I was asked to create this cake (link below), but i have no clue how to make the chocolate ribbons/ruffles look like the ones in this design.

http://www.nickygrant.com/cake-galleries/chocolate-wedding-cakes/chocolate-ruffle-wedding-cake-raspberry-chocolate-flower

I tried using a cheese cutter and a bench scraper, but the ribbons kept ending up too short, or cracking before they were long enough. Should I use modeling chocolate for this, or is there a way to use pure chcolate to accomplish this design, and if so, what tools or supplies do i use? Thanks SO much for any tips or advice!! I don't need to do the rose on top, just the white chocolate ribbons.

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

The chocolate around that cake looks like the chocolate wrap to me.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 6

Found this on her blog! Looks fun! It's a video of her showing how she does it. It's just tempered chocolate. (Which is pretty impressiveicon_wink.gif)

http://www.nickygrant.com/how-wrap-chocolate-around-cake

jardot22 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 6

Ok...i just realized she has a how to video on the website. Lol. Silly me. Too bad i don't have a marble slab. I wonder if you could use a frozen sheet pan?

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

Richard Festen of BakingArts has a great video on a similiar technique without the slab. www.bakingart.net

jardot22 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 6

What type of surface did he use? I have to do this cake by this weekend. Lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%