How Do I Make A Pdf File Business Card For And Ad?

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have the opportunity to place an Ad in a local paper but I have to create a PDF file and design a business card ad.How do I do this?? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

I just need to get started... icon_cry.gif

What does PDF stand for anyway?

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 5

PDF stands for Portable Document Format, and was created by Adobe to allow the formatting of a document to be preserved (usually for printing purposes) when a file is sent to other people. It can be read by a program called Acrobat Reader.

The latest versions of Microsoft Office should be able to save a document in PDF format. Another option is to use a PDF export tool -- they usually work by installing a print driver, and you use the print feature to send the file to the PDF "printer" which creates the file. The PDF export program I use is called CutePDF (it's free):

http://www.cutepdf.com/

You can use any program you want to create the ad, for this kind of thing I would probably use Photoshop, but Microsoft Word or Powerpoint would also work. If you're not comfortable with graphic design though, you may want to hire a professional to create the ad.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Jason..You are always so helpful...a few questions though if you'll humor me...LOL

Can I make a business card using the Printshop program and save it to PDF?I already tried/did this and it seemed to work because they want the final copy to be 3 inches wide by 1.5 high..smaller than a regular business card.....The Ad agency doesn't want/allow and ads by Word or powerpoint so that is out...

So I saved the file to PDF form can I now email this file or do I have to add it as an attachment when I send it?

Laurel

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

If your Printshop program can export to PDF that would be fine, just make sure the resolution is high enough (usually at least 300-600dpi, the ad agency can tell you the minimum dpi) otherwise it will be blurry when it's printed. You can add the PDF file as an attachment to an email.

The ad agency won't accept files in Word or Powerpoint file formats (DOC or PPT), but if you export the Word or Powerpoint file to PDF using the export tool I mentioned earlier they should be fine with it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 5

Great ..Thanks Jason...You have been a great help..I did make it 300 dpi as that is the minimum they need...I will send it as an attachment when the time comes...

Thanks again..I do appreciate it!!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%