Dessert Idea For Summer Dinner Party!!

Lounge By SweetSuzieQ Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 9:16pm by SweetSuzieQ

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

I'm having some friends over on Saturday and, I wanted to do a fun showy dessert that tastes great. There will be kids so, it should be kid friendly flavors. Was originally thinking of just doing a cake and pretty it up but, I keep being drawn to flavors like Lemon Raspberry (which would be delish but, probably not a kid favorite...mine are good and will eat most anything but, the other kids might be picky) and decorating it up with piroulines around the side and fresh raspberries piled on top.

So, now I feel like I am stuck on that idea and, just can't think so, was hoping for some inspiration!!!! I don't want to do anything decadent like chocolate. With it being summer I wanted to keep it light!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

Why not do the cake you want to do, then maybe make some chocolate chip cookies or something else like that for the kids?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 9

My recipe for BLACK FOREST CHEESE CAKE..........

This is an EASY, no bake cheescake. semi homemade, if you will..I entered it in the Country Fair under Doctored Mix Recipes, and WON a BLUE RIBBON ! I found a recipe on the internet,and it reminded me of one of my Moms cheesecake, so I looked hers up, and combind the two, and came up with this

Black Forest Cheesecake
Ingredients
2 (11 ounce) pkg. plain No Bake cheesecake mixes
2/3 C.melted butter
1/4 C. white sugar
1 (3 0z.) pkg. Ladyfingrs
1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 C. cold milk,divided
1 (10 or 12 oz.) container whipped topping, thawed
1 (21 oz. )can cherry pir filling (or filling of your choice)
1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C. heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon butter
Instructions
1. In a bowl, combine contents of crust mix packages ( I dont like the crust that thick, so I only use one) melted butter, and sugar. Press mixture on to the bottom of 10 inch spring form pan, sprayed LIGHTLY with cooking spray. Line edge of pan with Lady fingers.

2.2. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup cold milk until SMOOTH. Gradually beat in remaining milk. Add contents of filling mix pkgs;beat until smooth about three minutes. Fold in thawed whip topping. Pour over crust. Allow to cool and set up in refridgerator while preparing ganache layer.
4.3.Heat cream over medium heat until just barley come to a boil. Remove from heat immediately. Do not over-heat ! Pour hot cream over chocolate chips, and allow to set a minute or so. Gently stir mixture until chocolate is melted and blended with cream. Add butter and combine. DO NOT beat mixture ! Let cool slightly it must be pourable, but not hot.
5.Pour chocolate ganache mixture over set up cheesecake, and return to refridgerator until set about an hour. Por cherry pie filling over ganache layer and return to refridgerator until ready to serve.. It is VERY rich, so I slice small pieces..
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6901/black-forest-cheesecake

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9

SHORTCAKE!

You could actually do a make your own shortcake bar. I prefer a biscuit type shortcake, but you could also include dessert shells. They are sweeter and some of the kids might like it.

Then prepare fresh fruit - it's the perfect time! Classic strawberry, peach would be nice, all of the seasons berries are out now. Just prep them and add a little sugar so they macerate for a while before serving. Have each one in a different bowl.

It would be seasonal, refreshing, and delicious. Most of the work would be done ahead. And people could do it up or play it down as they wanted.

Less stress for you.

Add fresh whipped cream - I'd be your best friend.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 9

Key Lime cheesecake!!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 9

I'd do two desserts, one that is elegant for the adults and the other that is Kid friendly. For the adults, I'd do either a traditional tiramisu, a cheesecake of some sort, cheesecake parfaits, fruit parfaits, a fruit tart, my chocolate mocha cake, or a black Forest Cake. For the children, I'd do vanilla, chocolate, marble or strawberry cuppies with buttercream (decorated of course). I also like Texas Sugar's idea of chocolate chip or decorated sugar cookies.

Edited to add the parfaits.

Ramute64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramute64 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 9

I often do Baked Alaska. It's refreshing, easy and everybody loves it in summer.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 9

here is a VERY easy recipe and very good too! We dollop ours with cool whip ..

One box of angel food cake mix .. and one can of pie filling .. we LOVE the cherry pie filling, but we have done apple, blueberry, etc.

Just take the angel food cake mix (no extra ingredients added) and the one can of pie filling .. mix together (mix usually becomes puffy) Dump into an ungreased 9X13 cake pan and bake 30 minutes at 350 .. I usually put a lid or cover over the pan as it's cooling, to help retain moisture .. but you don't have to ...

Cut into 2X2 squares and plate them up with a dollop if whip cream ..

So very good, so very cheap and easy!

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions!!! I'm still waffling but, so nice to have all these ideas. I almost want to just stick with cupcakes since that is what I am most comfortable with but, want to try something new. I am probably way overthinking this since it is just a casual get together but, that is me! HAHAHA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%