Best Deals You've Ever Gotten!

Decorating By theCword Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm by jewels710

theCword Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 30

Let's make each other envious- in a good way of course! icon_biggrin.gif What are the best deals you have found thus far?

For me, I'm a newbie so don't have much to begin with but everytime I find a good deal, I'm SO proud.

So far my awesome deals have been:

Turn table for $5 at a community sale.
And 2 days ago I bought 2 magic line 14 inch pans (in great condition) for $2 a piece!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

What about you???

29 replies
therese379 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 30

My great deal is.... I went to Hobby Lobby in Port Huron (I'm Canadian) and bought a cake stand on sale 1/2 price $24.99.. and because some sales person put a huge sticker on the top... that was hard to get off.. they gave it to me for $12.50.... yeah.. I'll take that. Regular price was $50.00 LOVE LOVE HOBBY LOBBY thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

theCword Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 30

awesome! was it the only one there?? maybe I should be putting stickers all over stuff I want lol icon_biggrin.gif

rhondab Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 30

KA mixer for $35 from Good Will - every time I use it I smile!

sweetooth0510 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 30

I picked up an iron TALA icing turntable for free at an open home of a deceased estate. Saw it in the back of a cupboard (only thing there) and asked the estate agent what would happen to it and he said that anything left would be thrown out.

I'll take that icon_cool.gif

kathie-d Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 30

I just found a place where I can get my supplies at wholesale. I received my first order today (that I placed yesterday!) and it was %50 cheaper than my local supplier! So excited...and I didn't even have to spend the time and gas to go get it! Feels like a really good deal so I thought I'd share! Like going to Michaels and not needing a coupon! LOL

theCword Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondab

KA mixer for $35 from Good Will - every time I use it I smile!

I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif I have been selling on ebay, saving my pennies for a KA...
I hate you.

icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to start raiding Goodwills now.

enchantedcreations Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 30

Tips/comments, etc. here on CakeCentral, you can't put a price on this! Thank you Cakesters!!!!!

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 30

I've been very fortunate to have a few good buys. A lot have been at car boot sales (flea markets) & church sales. When I was starting out I got a full set of heart, petal, square & round Invicta heavy duty tins for £25. At the time it would have cost me that just for one 6" petal tin. I've also had lots of Wilton pans for £1, most of them never used. But I have to say my best buy is probably a 2 tier "C" shaped chrome wedding cake stand for 50p icon_biggrin.gif

tripleD Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 30

The best deal: Bakery Auction I bid on cake circles. I thought I was bidding on a case. Won the bidding at $25.00. When the auction ended the auctioneer said lady you got a bargain. 25 cases of mixed sizes. I had to call for a truck to help haul it all home. I am still using these circles and it has been 5 years now. I don't know what I am going to do, when I have to finally buy them.
Now I watch the paper for auctions all the time.

theCword Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

The best deal: Bakery Auction I bid on cake circles. I thought I was bidding on a case. Won the bidding at $25.00. When the auction ended the auctioneer said lady you got a bargain. 25 cases of mixed sizes. I had to call for a truck to help haul it all home. I am still using these circles and it has been 5 years now. I don't know what I am going to do, when I have to finally buy them.

WOW!!! icon_eek.gif

dzh115 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 30

I found Fat Daddios cake pans for around $3 to $5 each at Home Goods. I also love my 5.5 qt Cuisinart stand mixer that I bougth at Bonton for $150 and my $3 pvc rolling pin from Lowes.

cherrycakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 30

I love my Fat Daddios turntable that I bought from Amazon for 12.99 - it typically sells for well over $60. However, I am completely envious of my friend who found a KA pasta attachment at a garage sale for $5! It had been used only once and normally sells for $169!!!

I think I should be going to a few more garage sales!!

Moovaughan Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 30

I got a wilton gold elite 9x13 for $3, 2 rounds for $2.75 each, clearence at Michaels..... P.S. I like the quality of the backing pans I get at my local restaurant supply store better - 1 10" for $3.75 every day.

nickshalfpint Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 30

I got a brand new Cuisinart 7qt mixer @ a sidewalk sale for $200 and a DeLonghi 7qt mixer (floor model) for $30. I was a happy camper that day!

heavenlys Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 30

I picked up my supersystem deck oven for $25 at an auction!! icon_biggrin.gif Nobody wanted to move the beast! Three decks for baking and 3 decks for proofing.

that has to be my best deal

fedra Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 30

I ordered a 14 in silver square cake stand online on clearance for $30 and free shipping however the company shipped me a 22 in brass square stand instead. When I called them to tell them error they apologized shipped me the 14 for free and let me KEEP the 22 inch also!! Still makes me feel all good inside everytime I think about it!
Fedra

inspiredbymom Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 10:40pm
post #18 of 30

Thanks for the laughs! I had to read them all to my DH (who is lovingly making me dinner while I mess around on CC!). All I can say is WOW. We especially like the cake circle story!!!

Elcee Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

I think you win! thumbs_up.gif

All (3 icon_smile.gif ) of my Magic Line pans: a 12 x 16 x 2 rectangle at an estate sale for $6; a 10 x 10 x 2 square for $2 at an estate sale; a 9 x 2 round for $1 at a yard sale. I also once picked up a random plastic plate on a table at a yard sale and underneath was a large Wilton tip holder full of tips for $1. I got it home and discovered that they were all doubled up! Some were bent and had to be tossed but all in all I ended up with 68 tips plus the holder! I boiled them all and was good to go.

Nazarine Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:22pm
post #20 of 30

A few weeks ago I went to a garage sale. Got some Wilton pans for $5. Then I got some unopened rolls of floral tape and floral wires for 5 cents a pack. Perfect for gum paste flowers! Also scooped some used candy making molds for 25 cents each. She had 2 tables of cake decorating stuff! Unfortunately, the last time she decorated must have been 30 years ago. Most of it was outdated.

Yesterday, I had a coupon for $10 off your purchase of $10 or more at Pier One Imports. Got a cake stand for $4.95!

theCword Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

I think you win! thumbs_up.gif

All (3 icon_smile.gif ) of my Magic Line pans: a 12 x 16 x 2 rectangle at an estate sale for $6; a 10 x 10 x 2 square for $2 at an estate sale; a 9 x 2 round for $1 at a yard sale. I also once picked up a random plastic plate on a table at a yard sale and underneath was a large Wilton tip holder full of tips for $1. I got it home and discovered that they were all doubled up! Some were bent and had to be tossed but all in all I ended up with 68 tips plus the holder! I boiled them all and was good to go.

$68 tips for a $1!!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Elcee Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

$68 tips for a $1!!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

I know, right?! I don't think the woman knew what she was selling. There were no other cake related items at the sale.

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:09am
post #23 of 30

My home 6q KA, I found it on clearance at Macy's on a coupon weekend, then opened a Macy's account to get the extra 15% - and KA was running a free attachment promotion so I also got the veggie chopper for free (wish I got the pasta roller). I think when all was said and done I ended up paying $100 for $800 in brand new KA stuff.

I laughed like crazy all the way home.

Jen

labmom Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #24 of 30

Kitchen Aid Mixer $5.00 new It was up on a shelf at a surplus store brand new with tags and everything. Airbrush & Kopycake machine/ boards 2 cases of parchment sheets *round and square sheet and cake boards plates, pillars fountian magic line pans & anything else that I could get into my little car for $75.00 (mom decorrator had altzheimers and family was getting rid of everything so she would stop baking cakes)
a non cake thing but I got my LG stainless largest they make french door fridge (orig cost 2600.00) for 800.00 because it had a small dent on the corner of the door.. I was so excited that I forgot to measure my space at home... just squeeked in. Love it so much great for big cakes to cool quickly. Holds so much it always looks empty because with just my husband and me we don't buy that much groceries, and I paid with store gift cards and that gave me 20 cents off my gas for every $50.00 I spent. It was a great day. I also got a georgeous thomasville couch that had been ordered and came in wrong for someone for $300 and it was a 1800.00 couch.. Friends always give me lists to look for things... I just love bargains... my husband said that I will spend 300 on something but I am saving the 900 that it cost orig. and laughs at me.

theCword Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:49pm
post #25 of 30

I'm SOOO upset right now.

Yesterday a KA "mixture" was on CL for $30. HOW DID I MISS THIS!?!?!? Maybe because they wrote MIXTURE and NOT MIXER?!?!?!

I want to cry. icon_cry.gif

Chasey Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 30

Wow, you ladies are finding awesome deals. Love it!

I just bought a full size brand new, never opened Cake Cricut for $112 at Big Lots this week! They also had a few cartridges for $25.

The sticker price was $140 and I had a 20% rewards coupon to use. Plus I had hidden a $100 bill from myself (Christmas stocking gift) that I found recently....so I paid under $20, including tax, out of my own pocket for this new toy. icon_biggrin.gif

theCword Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 30

I GOT MY KITCHENAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I found it on CL.. BRAND NEW in box, still taped up. Artisan series for $150!

I know it's not a $30 one BUT I saved over a $100. The color is ice blue. I.am.in.love.

GarciaGM Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:54pm
post #28 of 30

You guys are making me want to run out to today's garage sales!!! icon_biggrin.gif

theCword Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:27pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

You guys are making me want to run out to today's garage sales!!! icon_biggrin.gif

It is friiiiiiiday! icon_evil.gificon_rolleyes.gif Go GO!

jewels710 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #30 of 30

I got a set of 3 fat daddio square cake pans at the salvation army for $2. I thought they were going to charge me the two bucks apiece, I even tried correcting the girl at the register, but she said that since only the bottom one was marked, the cost was for the whole set!!! Jackpot!

Then a friend of mothers used to really be into decorating and had gotten out of it a few years back, she just put all her supplies into 3 large rubbermaid bins and left them in her basement. When she found out I was getting into decorating she gave me all three bins for $50. She just wanted to get rid of the stuff.
Over 20 Pans, 4 Dozen cutters, 2 silipats, about 3 dozen flower cutters/veiners, books, another 3 dozen tools, multiple supports/plates, a 24" rolling pin, and some extra stuff I don't know if I'll ever use! What a steal!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%