Stacking Large Layers

Decorating By JourneyTowardConfection Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm by HappyCake10609

JourneyTowardConfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JourneyTowardConfection Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone had a foolproof method for stacking large layers (12 inches and larger).

The reason I ask is I did my first wedding cake last weekend with a 12-inch square bottom tier. When I went to add the second layer over the filling, I hesitated because I wasn't sure how to slide it onto the cake without it cracking. I thought about sliding it off a cake board, but it was fairly moist and would have stuck, I'm sure. I was also concerned that if I managed to get it on there intact, it wouldn't be centered. I conservatively decided to split it in half and lay each half on individually. That worked, but you could kind of see the split through the fondant.

Does anyone have a better idea?

2 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 3

Did you pipe a layer of BC around the edge of the cake before you put the filling in? That would ensure the filling will stay in the center. Just make sure the filling layer does not meet the top of the BC wall so to speak. Fill it a bit under the BC. When your placing your layer on top of another layer try using a cake board to help you slide the layer on slowly so that way you can judge where its going and adjust as needed.

Hopefully that helps. icon_smile.gif

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 3

I slide it off of the cake board... If I think it might be sticking, I'll flip it onto a new board and then gently pull the first cake board off, then flip it again if necessary to get the correct side on top and then I can use the cake board to help me lay the layer on. Lots of people use a flat cookie sheet (with no lip) to help them. I think as long as you unstick it you won't have a problem. I am a check though, and have yet to torte a large layer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%