Wedding Cake - Help!

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm by dmo4ab

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding cake for a co-worker, with the wedding being this Saturday. I am struggling with how to make the branches on her cake. The link to the photo is at the bottom. I tried saving and attaching the image but could not get it to work. The difference with her cake is that she wants buttercream and not fondant, which makes the branches difficult. If they move at all and hit the side of the cake it will leave a mark. With a fondant covered cake I don't think that would happen. Detailed instructions on how to make the branches are greatly appreciated. The backside of the cake also has one big arched branch with two birds on it. I do have the birds done (made of fondant). Thanks!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazycakeco/2960344903/

2 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 3

You could recommend using fondant to her if your nervous about the branches ruining the BC. If she still insists on using BC all you can do is make as sturdy as possible if the branches ruin the way it looks than you warned her!!! You can use an extruder to make the branches or I also just saw a mold for that at Michaels not too long ago. Good Luck!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 3

My first thought is to use something flexible, yet sturdy, perhaps a metal coat hanger. Bend it to the exact shape you want and cover it with fondant or modeling chocolate, whichever you are using.

Are you delivering the cake? If so, I would not attach it to the cake board until you arrive at the venue with the cake. I too, would be afraid the branches would shift slightly during travel and dent the buttercream.

HTH and Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%