Glaze For Cake Love's Mojito Cake

Baking By zespri Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 7:23am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:41am
post #1 of 5

Part of the instructions for the Mojito cake in 'Cake Love' instructs to use spiced glaze. These are the instructions for the spiced glaze:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat the oven 350f
Place cake on an oven safe plate
Heat preserves in a saucepan
seperate the preserves liquid from solid
Brush the warm liquid onto the cake with a brush
Combine remaining ingredients and brush onto cake
Bake for 5 minutes to seal in the glaze
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Questions:
1) I guess the cake should be cool, as he says to put it on a plate. Should I undercook it by about five minutes, or will the fact that the cake is cool mean it won't be in the oven long enough to cook any further?
2) Can I cook some canned peaches with sugar & lemon juice in a frying pan to make a jam? I have never even seen peach preserves before, no idea what to substitute them with
3) I've never seen a glazed cake before either, would I use the glaze INSTEAD of the IMBC icing, or AS WELL as?

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 5

Cook the cake until it's done. I'm not sure canned peaches will give the taste of preserves. I'm on the post reply page so I can't see your location. Peach preserves are everywhere. If not in the grocery store, try a farmer's market. A better sub than the cnned peaches would be apricot preserves. They are subtle and are similar in taste.

He probably means the glaze to stand alone, but you can do what you want. I would make sure the glaze was warm too so that it sinks in. You want the buttercream to stick. Warren Brown sometimes puts his buttercream in the middle of a bundt, so you could do that and glaze the top... for ans shape cake.

zespri Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for the reply, and my apologies for not saying so sooner. I've had a house full of visitors and haven't had a chance to catch up on things yet.

I'm in New Zealand, and while I'm sure there are peach preserves SOMEwhere, I just haven't managed to find any yet. Nor have I seen apricot preserves...hehe... What about apricot jam, is that similar?

Yes, you're right about him filling his cakes with the buttercream, that's a good idea, thank you for the suggestion.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #4 of 5

I like the seeds and the chunks in my jam and preserves except when I glaze a french apple tart. I have a hard time finding simple ingredients found in bigger cities, so I know your frustration. Yes on the jam, and another thought... a good peach pie filling. It may even be cheaper. Next idea, fresh peaches peeled and diced and cooked in a small amount of water and sugar. Put them through a food mill or processor and use it semi-solid. To peel peaches, drop for a few seconds in boiling water. It comes right off.

zespri Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:23am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I can find something to make it work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%