Silly Question For Beginner

Decorating By evans000 Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 11:13am by gourmetsharon

evans000 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi Guys this is probably a silly question but i'm constantly thinking about it and didnt dare ask as i felt silly but as i'm a beginner ive got to learn somewhere and you lovely people are the best to ask.

I get quite confused over gumpaste, flower paste All the different pastes basically) and what is edible. I always use fondant to cover a cake and if i need to make say for instance flowers or a figure for a cake ive been advised to add tylose powder so it dries hard.

I cant imagine having to tell a customer and go over a cake and say what is edible and what is not.

I am attempting to make a castle next week for a birthday and have been advised to use gumpaste for the turrets so i will also use that for the castle door as it is ajar on the photo, will the people take the door off what if they try and eat it and its solid.

I did say this was a silly questgion but sometimes those silly questions go a long way and open new doors when answered.

Please please advise me in detail as this is really bugging me, and my course is finished for the summer holidays.

Thanks Helen

5 replies
leah_s Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:51am
post #2 of 6

gumpaste is edible. Not tasty, but edible.

As a general rule, if it's on the cake it should be edible.

evans000 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 8:05am
post #3 of 6

So do you advise your customers what parts to not eat (as it doesnt sound very professional i'm hoping you say no ha ha) or do you just let them work it out for themselves.

Does fondant ever dry solid?

I really am confused, i cant imagine biting into a piece of cake and there being really hard bits in it, or is that the norm? or do people pick them off?

Like i mentioned i am completely new to this so as much advice as possible would help

Thanks guys

dulcecakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:52am
post #4 of 6

I tell them if there are hidden supports like a toothpick holding something on the cake, but otherwise I just let them figure it out for themselves. I agree that it doesn't sound very professional to say, "I spent all this time making this edible such and such, but don't eat it because it tastes disgusting!" icon_biggrin.gif

jillyscakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:02am
post #5 of 6

Fondant never dries rock hard unless its had something added to it like CMC or gum trag. As for the turrets have you thought of ice cream cones covered in fondant thats quite a poular way of doing turrets.

Quote:
Quote:

I tell them if there are hidden supports like a toothpick holding something on the cake, but otherwise I just let them figure it out for themselves

Same here

gourmetsharon Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 11:13am
post #6 of 6

when I made my castle, I used white chocolate melts for the door. I piped the white chocolate on a woodgrain impression mat in the shape of a tiny door. I painted it with shimmer powder mixed into vodka.

I like trying to incorporate chocolate melts whenever possible 'cause it's tastier!

You can see it in my photos if you'd like. I used ice cream cones for the turrets. One of my earlier efforts but still kinda cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%