Ganache

Decorating By azchic Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 7:41am by Homemade-Goodies

azchic Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:48am
post #1 of 6

I'm pretty new to the cake world I've seen several posts suggesting using ganache under fondent, I was wondering if you can also use ganache as a crumb coating under bc or will the bc just slide off?

5 replies
SteveJ Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 6

I have to admit that i have never tried that myself or known anyone who has so i can't say for certain! but i dont think it will be a problem. if you make a ganache with good dark chocolate (ie not full of loads of fat and sugar) and use at least the same (if not more) chocolate than cream you will get a very sturdy ganache once set. i guess that there will be no problem putting buttercream on top of that!

but i've never known anyone use both...i've always used EITHER buttercream OR ganache to do the filling, crumb coating and icing/deorating of a cake...never both on the same cake (seems like a lot of hastle!)

But let me know how you get on!

Jody130 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 6

I have actually made a cake using ganache under buttercream, It is the white 3 tiered wedding cake with flowers on it in my pictures, I made the ganache let it cool to room temp, cover bowl in plastic wrap, let sit overnight, torted, filled cakes with ganache, and frosted all 3 layers in ganache, let sit till hardens, then cover in thin layer of buttercream, it smoothed out good, it does make the cake very sweet and rich with both. HTH>

Homemade-Goodies Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 6

This has been a while, but I'm looking to see if anyone has ever applied ganache over buttercream for the finish??? Ganache alone doesn't seem enough, almost too chintzy.... I'm filling with chocolate buttercream, wanting to use ganache, tinted black, for a dark effect over the cake, with fondants embellishments on top and sides.

cakesrock Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 3:11am
post #5 of 6

I use ganache under BC all the time and LUV it!
Here's a good link:
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:41am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the link!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%