What Do You Use To Place Your Cakes On When Finished???

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm by dcarylmk

angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 23

The more i'm getting into this the bigger my cakes get.. I'm running out of options on what to set my cake on.. Do u make your own boards? It's getting to where I might have to go get wood if I don't think of something...

22 replies
angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 23

vgray Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 23

Some people use wood, just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have them cut you the size you need and cover it with food safe paper or fondant. Other people use plexiglass. Just go to a local glass store and have them cut you the size you need. Clean it up good and your should be good to go. HTH

angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:31am
post #4 of 23

awesome ty.. I was beging to think I was invisible lol

hodges Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:53am
post #5 of 23

I make my own for larger sizes--I get boxes from Costco and cut the bottoms out to make larger cake boards, (the boxes for berries work the best!) icon_smile.gif or I also have been using foam board.

angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:03am
post #6 of 23

How well does the foam board hold up?? And the boxes? Is there something else u use to make it more sturdy?

vgray Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:04am
post #7 of 23

Just be sure to factor in the cost of the wood or glass into the price of the cake. Don't want to charge the same as if it were a small cake board. I had an inquiry about a sheet cake to look like an open bible that would have been 22" x 30", I called Lowe's to see how much it would cost for a 2 foot by 3 foot piece of ply wood that was 1/4" thick.... $13.00!

angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:31am
post #8 of 23

wow vgray I'm making a bible cake for my parents anniversay this week..Not sure how but i guess ill figure it out lol

vgray Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:55am
post #9 of 23

This one would have been to feed over 100 people. I was going to put two 11 x 15s side by side. The church ended up decided to hold off on this cake until November. We shall see if they call back closer to time.

vgray Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:59am
post #10 of 23

Look under the templates. There is one for carving an open book. I believe it Doug made it.

leah_s Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:49am
post #11 of 23

I use cake drums for nearly all cakes.

doramoreno62 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:55am
post #12 of 23

I buy foam boards from the Dollar store. I cut rounds from them and can get 3 to 4 8"and 10" rounds or 2 to 3 12" and 14"rounds. Anything over 12" I double them and for my tier cakes I stack 4 of them. Then I cover them with matching colored foil. Its cheap and it works. If you look closely at my black, pink & hot pink cake I used 4 foam boards, covered them with black foil and put ribbon on the edge. I paid $4 for the boards and I still was able to cut some 6" and 8" rounds from the left overs.

vharbin Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 9:42am
post #13 of 23

I use either foam core from the dollar store or mdf boards from Home Depot. The foam core can be easily cut into circle with a dry wall circle cutter. Since the paper isn't as think on the dollar store kind, I sometime double them just to be safe. The mdf boards are right at $6 at my local Home Depot, can be easily cut to size with a jig saw, and I can get enough boards out of one sheet for several cakes. These options are much cheaper for me than buying the wax cake boards or pre-cut mdf boards from my local cake shop. I cover them with fanci foil.

sccandwbfan Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 23

I use cake drums for people that I don't know well. For people that I do know well, I use my masonite boards (covered in foil)that I got at Sweetwise with exact directions not to throw them away and return them to me.

angelleyes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 23

Thank you very much for all the advise.. Now I know I don't have spend a fortune for having something to put my cakes on... I will charge extra once I get going for the boards and all that.

I will check out the templates once I figure out how to do it lol.. I did it a few time and had no clue how I got there lol

hamie Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 23

I use tiles. Every time I go to lowes or home depot I look for sales and pick up a few. I usually get the chipped ones that are discounted.

I use a lot of 12 x 12. But have gotten them up to 22x22, it was $5. Very sturdy even with an 18 in cake.

They can be covered with shelf paper or fondant.

kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm
post #17 of 23

Angeleyes said: ...........I was beging to think I was invisible lol............

Hon, you have to be more patient icon_smile.gif There was only 22 minutes from the time of your post until you got an answer. Not everyone is sitting at their computer just waiting for someone to post. Even though I was on the board last evening I didn't see yhour post until noon today.

Cake boards are made just for this purpose. They come in rounds from 6" to 22" (maybe larger) and in sheet cake sizes. They can be purchased at cake supply shops or places like WalMart; Michael's and HobbyLobby. The larger the cake the more of those boards you need under a cake. If it's over 10" round I usually use 2; anything 16" and over is call for a cake drum, wood or masonite.

Reyna Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 23

I go the the 2 lumber yards and ask for scrap wood, they let me go to where it is and pick all the pieces i need. than my husband cuts smaller or what ever size. Most of the time they let me have it for free because its scrap that they eventually throw out. That's pretty much all I use is 1/4 or 1/2 inch wood. I've had to buy sheets at times but its only like 13.00 and i get quite a few boards out of one.

Claire138 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:01pm
post #19 of 23

I get cardboard boxes from my local grocer (who gives them to me free bc he is delighted that he has fewer boxes to fold up for the garbage) and I cut them to size & cover with foil, I use at least 3 boards per cake to have the thickness needed to hold the cake properly. I can't get cake drums where I live so I make do as shipping would bring the cost of the cake up considerably.

cai0311 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:49pm
post #20 of 23

I use cake drums. Sturdy, cheap, disposable and they look nice. I get them from Global Sugar Art.

jenng1482 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 23

For 8" rounds (I sell alot of this size) I buy a glass plate as seen in this picture:
I get them at Walmart for $1. Sometimes people return them ~ great! If not, I figure the cost is less then buying a drum, cake boards, ect and them covering them. This also provides a very stable base.

I have also found other fun colored plastic plates at dollar stores, walmarts seasonal section, and walgreens. These tend to be a little bit bigger, are sometimes 2/$1, and I can match it to the cakes color scheme. Please see these links:

For square and rectangle boards, I buy a large sheet of masonite. I cut it up into various sizes and then cover them with fabric and then vinyl:

Here is a piece of wood paneling covered in vinyl that I have used over and over again. It is great for the Toy Story bedroom cakes:

This is a piece of foam core with a football field printed from the internet glued to it and then covered:

And here is one using a ceramic tile and a PP mentioned:

I also have used round mirrors with beveled edges. Hobby Lobby sells them by the candles:

I'm sure that was way too much, but I wanted you to see that many many things can be used and can be found fairly inexpensively.

KathysCC Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #22 of 23

For close friends and family(since I know I will get them back), I have different sized boards that my dad cut for me out of 3/4 inch plywood. I have them covered with clear contact paper so they wipe clean easily if they get dirty but I cover them with cake foil before putting the cake on it.

For other people that I won't see again or don't trust with my boards I just get cake cardboard from the local cake shop. The heavier the cake, the more layers of cake cardboard that I use. I have put up to 4 pieces together for added strength. You can stick them together with a hot glue gun.

Also, cake shops sell the styrofoam cake boards for wedding cakes. I've never used them but those would be great for large tiered cakes.

dcarylmk Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:30pm
post #23 of 23

Just wondering ... how strong is the plexiglass? Would it be able to hold the weight of a 4 or 5 tier cake, not only sitting on the table but to move it from one place to another? Granted not many would move a 5 tier from place to place. Same question for the mirror. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%