junkee4cupcake Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of

I am adding Gum Tex to fondant in order to make bow decorations for cupcake toppers. How long should I let the fondant sit after I've added the Gum Tex before I attempt to start making the bows? icon_confused.gif

10 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of

It'll work best if you knead it in, wrap it well, and let it sit at least overnight.

Rae

ycknits Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of

I frequently add gumtex or CK tylose to fondant immediately before I roll & cut or before I shape a figure. It seems to work fine for me.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of

I've added gumtex to fondant and have used it right away many of times.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've added gumtex to fondant and have used it right away many of times.

I do that too, but mainly for figures or objects.

When I want to roll it thinner and have it hold it's shape without stretching, I just find that it acts better if it's cured for awhile--the OP is asking about a bow.

Rae

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #6 of

Maybe it's my kitchen, but for me it actually works better to use it right away, even with bows. Most of my bows are fondant/gum-tex that was mixed and used right away.

Rach80 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:14pm
post #7 of

I have a questions on this as well, but mine is basic. I've never tried to mold fondant but my son wants a birthday cake that I will have to make little figures. So how much tylose do you add to the fondant so that it is good for molding?
Thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:17pm
post #8 of

I honestly just go by feel. So I'd be no help there. icon_sad.gif

BakerzJoy Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #9 of

So gum tex makes fondant almost like gumpaste when you mix it in......meaning it will harden and hold it's shape?? I would love to try this if it will work instead of buying the expensive already made gumpaste from wilton.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:30pm

Yes it does.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how it compares price wise.

razberry Posted 26 Oct 2013 , 8:54pm

Ahi everyone... plz I need to know what is the quantity of gum tex I can add to fondant in order to make the fondant harder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%