Wedding Cake Scrollwork

Decorating By treetgirl Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 3:07am by fedra

treetgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treetgirl Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 3

Hi! I want to make a wedding cake with some really pretty scrollwork and have two questions. 1. The cake is buttercream. Can I use royal icing on top of buttercream (I live in a really humid, hot area in case this matters).

2. Is there a technique for getting all the scrolls uniform. I'm not good at "eyeballing" it. Thanx a bunch!

2 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #2 of 3

Yes you can. Practice, practice, practice. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

The previous poster is right about practice, however there are some "tools" that can help guide you along:
1.) Scroll impression mat (large and small). I got mine at http://www.cakesbysam.com.
2.) Plastic handheld scroll press/imprints. I got mine fom Betty Crocker online a couple of years ago.
3.) a tilting turntable, like Wiltons, is very helpful when it comes to making details on the side of a cake such as scroll work. You have much better control of your piping when your piping in a slanted form. They cost around $70 though.
4.) I use the practice board from Wilton. I position the board in the standing position (plastic positioning legs come with the board). Just wipe the board and keep practicing.
5.) I use melted canned frosting to practice with. I'm not sure if royal icing would be too good for scrolls. I imagine that the scrolls would just crumble to pieces when the cake is cut and royal icing disintegrates in the refrigerator.
HTH
Fedra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%