Buy Marzipan Fruit?

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm by FromScratchSF

FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #1 of 10

Just got a request to make a wedding cake that has marzipan fruit on it, anyone know where to buy premade realistic marzipan fruit? I don't have an airbrush (yet) so I don't know how I'd get it to look right.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

9 replies
scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 10

In my little cities, the independent gourmet candy/chocolate shop has it. They look so nice that I made a mental note to buy, not make them. Call around. If we have it, it's got to be everywhere.

southerncross Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:19am
post #3 of 10

FromScratch, you should really consider making your own marzipan fruit. You don't need an airbrush. I use dry petal dust for soft colors and dust with vodka for a painted look. The problem I've found with purchased marzipan is that the fruit is smaller than I need to look balanced on tiered cake. Judging from your cake photos you certainly have the skill level to turn out some spectacular work. Let us know how it works out.

Lili5768 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 10

I just recently found almond paste in my supermarket and I'm going to try making marzipan next week.
It doesn't seem difficult at all, but then you know how it is....icon_surprised.gif

I will post the results!

brett9008 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:50am
post #5 of 10

I did a wedding cake with marzipan fruit. I had no clue what it was at the time...lol I ordered it on line, and the bride actually found boxes of marzipan at TJMaxx, if you have those in ur area. They were pleased with both kinds. Easier to buy, in my opinion> icon_lol.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:09am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

FromScratch, you should really consider making your own marzipan fruit. You don't need an airbrush. I use dry petal dust for soft colors and dust with vodka for a painted look. The problem I've found with purchased marzipan is that the fruit is smaller than I need to look balanced on tiered cake. Judging from your cake photos you certainly have the skill level to turn out some spectacular work. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the compliment! The small fruit thing is what I'm afraid of, there is lots online but it all looks small. Buess I'll just give it a try. Do you use Odense brand premade marzipan or do you make your own?

SPC, I've never seen any in a store, any chance you can let me know the brand so I can maybe find it online?

Thanks!

scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:26am
post #7 of 10

I'll go by tomorrow and check. But southerncross is correct... they are smaller, but will it be eaten... you know people will want to try it? In that case, small is good. A huge hunk would be a decoration. But they really are pretty.

southerncross Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 10

[quote="FromScratchSF"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Do you use Odense brand premade marzipan or do you make your own?

Yes, I use Odense premade marzipan. I made live sized cherries (copying the ones in Martha Stewarts Wedding Cakes book) and following directions in one of several other decorating books that explain it. It's remarkably simple compared to gumpaste flowers.

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

I use Odense too. If you look at the fall cake in my pics, that's all marzipan.

Marzipan fruits are so pretty and taste really good. You can either use gels to color the marzipan or do what I did, and buy powdered food coloring and dust it onto the fruit with a brush. All I did was brush it on, super easy and FUN, no vodka or additional liquids required.

If you can find the Baking with Julia episode where Julia and Martha Stewart do a wedding cake, they decorated it with marzipan cherries and acorns. So cute!

I love marzipan and wish people would ask for decorations made with it more often. I realize that it's expensive though and fondant is the more sensible option sometimes.

Good luck!

FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%