post #61 of 62

It's www.avenueSchoices.com

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Nov 2014 , 8:23pm
post #62 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefDave 

Hello fellow Canadians,

I absolutely love Platinum Paste.  Icing inspirations in Kitchener, ON used to sell it.  They were the only place in Canada to carry it but it didn't sell, so they stopped.  I get mine from Diane Gruenberg at Avenue Sweet Choice in Bay City, MI.  She is the only distributor that I know of.  I believe she has sole distribution rights.  She is a great lady, an amazing teacher and extremely helpful.  If you have never used Platinum Paste for flowers, you are missing out.  It is very easy to use and you can literally roll it out paper thin.  The petals you can make are almost transparent they can be rolled so thin.  You use it a little differently than regular gum paste in that you roll it out on your non-stick cell board and allow it to stick to the board.  Let it dry on top a bit, then turn it over to cut it out.  Then you feather the edges and form it, same as regular gum paste.  Another benefit of using it is that you can "twiddle" it on a fine 33 gauge wire and attach it by simply putting it on your impression mat and it sticks to the petal.  No more feeding wires into ridges on the back of petals.   

Someone asked about making figurines with it but I wouldn't recommend it because it is quite pricey.  It is worth the price for flowers though.  I am fortunate in that I belong to the Michigan branch of ICES (International Cake Exploration Society)  and I see her at the DOS (Days of Sharing) in the spring and fall.  I have also driven up to her shop in Bay City, MI too and she ships to me in Detroit.  I go over and pick it up at UPS depot.  I am sure that she could ship to Canada if you were willing to pay the shipping etc.  If I knew how to attach a picture, I would post one for you.

Currently Avenue Sweet is my main source  but you can get PP from Sugar Delights (Jennifer Dontz is also in MI) and now A&H Cake Supply is now selling it.  Both Avenue Sweet Choice and A & H sell up to 350g.  Sugar Delights shipping is very fast but only sells 150g - she sells to Canada.  You can see rates on her page.

Just thought you's want to know there are additional sellers :)

Ruth Rickey has recently put out a YouTube video on demonstrating how to twiddle.  I highly recommend it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%