Making A Open Book Topper??

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm by mystsparkle

mystsparkle Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 3

I'll try to explain this the best I can..hopefully it'll make sense! I'm making a Wizards of Waverly Place Cake..bottom will be 8inch round and top will be 6inch round. And on TOP of the 6inch I"m thinking of putting a spell book that's sorta propped up, and open (which will have happy bday written on it) I was thinking of making this out of fondant, and letting it get hard..and then somehow propping it up there. Will it hold up okay? Not sure how big yet, but has to be big enough to hold all the writing on it.
1. Any idea how to prop that up?
2. Is fondant a good idea on what to make that out of?

Thanks!

2 replies
rpaige Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 3

I believe I would try forming the book out of rice crispies and then cover it in fondant. Solid fondant could get heavy. Place sharpened wooden dowels in the treats while treats and fondant are moist, allow the book to dry, then place on top of the cake. Where you place the dowels would create the "slant or angle" you are looking for. Dowels placed at the bottom edge of the book and then stuck in the cake would make the book stand straight up. Placing the dowels in the back of the book either higer or lower will give you less or more of a slant. Hope this helps! Good luck!

mystsparkle Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you very much! I'm going to try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%