I Need Help Witha Chocolate Coconut Cake!!!!

Baking By Allie06 Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 2:31pm by Allie06

Allie06 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 12

I've been scouring and scouring...I can find plenty coconut recipes, and a TON of chocolate, but the two together, no dice!! I was wondering if anyone had any hints? Or recipe suggestions? Like just adding cocoa to a coconut cake recipe, except we all know that baking is a science, so I would love to see a measurement, or a formula, substitue dry for dry, or for every 3 tbs of cocoa powder add 3 tbs of butter...something like that!!!! Thank you, in advance! =)

11 replies
pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 12

Why don't you just add some coconut extract to a chocolate cake?

Allie06 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking about that route too. Like toasting some coconut to fold in the cake batter, and adding some extract, I am just not sure about messing with the liquid, or instead would I just not use vanilla? or half vanilla half coconut extract? or What about Lorann coconut oil?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 12

Adding an extra teaspoon of extract will be fine.

ReneeFLL Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 12

What about a chocolate cake with coconut BC? I haver made this before and it is delicious.

LorienSkye Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 12

I personally prefer a great dark choc cake with toasted coconut buttercream as the filling!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 12

Voice of experience writing here -

It takes an awful lot of coconut flavoring before the flavor shows through the chocolate - the chocolate masks the coconut.

I quit trying, and switched to coconut candy filling between a cake that is torted to 3 layers. Much better than all the work I was doing in earlier attempts.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kaykaymay Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 12

yum coconut candy filling! Sounds delicious how do you make that?

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 12

Honestly, I just googles the subject and found one on about.com.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fabray13 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 12

I have made a chocolate cake with the almond joy filling found in the gourmet flavor post here on cc. It was easy and yummy!

scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:15am
post #11 of 12

The very best I've ever had was vegan. I can't get the recipe, but she buys her ingredients at the health food store I use. They told me she uses the coconut oil in the dark chocolate cupcake and the frosting, and she uses the dried flaked coconut, It is really dense and the coconut floats to the edges of the cc. I refuse to use shortening in anything (except whoopie pie filling, original recipe), but the coconut oil is a seriously good product. She tops the frosting with vegan ganache. I do not usually find something that I can't top, but this is the best cupcake I have ever had. Obviously, I haven't mastered it.

I need to mail one to jason_kraft and have him analyze it.

Allie06 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

Ah, thanks everyone! Some honest food for thought. Almond Joy Filling? Found in the recipes on the site?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%