How To: Winding Road Cake

Decorating By jennajane Updated 7 Feb 2016 , 12:29am by shannon96

jennajane Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 4

I had a request for how I carved my winding road cake, so I thought I would make it a post. I have seen other techniques on how to do a cake like this, but here is how I chose to do it.

The interesting part of this method is that it can be done with as many tiers as you want and you don't waste any cake or need to bake any additional rounds.

I used 8" and 6" rounds for the cake, therefore I needed a 1" road wrapping around the cake. I like to start at the top and work down. I used toothpicks and put them at 1" at one side and 1/2" at 180 degrees. Then I cut a half circle from the 1" toothpick to the 1/2" toothpick, gradually increasing the depth until 2" at the 180 degree mark. Then I cut the side of the cake (grey line in the photo) about 1" deep and around until I met my other cut on the side. Then I could remove this first piece carefully.

Then I continued to cut around the top from the 180 degree mark (I did the top half and bottom half in two pieces) gradually getting narrower, until I reached the starting point. I did the same on the side.

I then took the pieces I cut off and flipped them and put them back on the cake. Where you start cutting on the top of the cake becomes the beginning of the ramp at the bottom of the cake. At the 180 degree point the 1/2" width gets another 1/2" width to become 1", and the same for the rest. So in the end the road is 1" all the way around even though it is two pieces glued together.

The cutting guide:

The Cake!

A few final notes. I covered this cake in chocolate ganache, which I was super helpful for creating the finished shape of the cake, and then one big piece of fondant painted blue. I was hoping to paint some trees on the side, but just ran out of time. Sorry I didn't take any pictures in the process, but I didn't have much time to do this cake. HTH!

Jenna

3 replies
cherrycakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 4

Thank you for posting this! I'll be helping a friend make a similar cake in a couple of weeks and this looks like a great method!

Jakes Cakes Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 5:09am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Jenna for this I have to do one next week so this is helpful - I have some questions - if I wanted a 2 inch road would I bake a 7 inch and 10 inch cake? plus what do you mean when you said you flipped the cutoffs and put them back on the cake? do you have a sketch example please?? thanks so much for your help :-)

shannon96 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 12:29am
post #4 of 4

Hi Jenna, thanks for posting this tutorial. I attempted to follow it for a cake I made this week, but I think I missed something. I carved my 6 and 8 inch tiers separately. Individually, the tiers were perfectly spiraled. But when  I tried to stack them, I just couldn't get them to line up. Do you have any advice how to marry the two tiers together? TIA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%