CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of

Well, I've made a vanilla IMBC, a toffee IMBC and a cookies 'n' cream IMBC so far. I have to say, although it is silky, smooth, and beautiful to work with, I don't like the taste! Is it just me, or is all that butter just too much? I know there are many people who love this stuff. My hubby and kids do like it, but I just can't eat it. I love my regular buttercream. Oh well, at least I tried, and now have perfected making it.

37 replies
Mandyjb74 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of

if it makes you feel better i don't like it i prefer buttercream

paula0712 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of

I don't like it either... It tastes like I should've just whipped butter instead of going to the other trouble.

klutzy_baker Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:07pm
post #4 of

I think that's great that you tried it and mastered it. icon_smile.gif

At least if someone requests it, you can make it. As far as your personal tastes go, well the are personal. I never shoot down someone's idea of what tastes bad or good to them. It is what it is.

I'm sure my affinity for fish sauce probably grosses people out. LOL!!

QTCakes1 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of

I have to ask, did you use unsalted or salted butter? It's gotta be unsalted. Also, I know most recipes say a tsp. of vanilla, but you really need to up that. I use 1 1/2 TBLS. vanilla extract and sometimes even a TBLS. vanilla extract with a TBLS. of vanilla paste. It makes a world of difference. I don't care for American buttercream, cause it is just so sweet. I like it even less if it is shortening base. But I say try IMBC one more time using more extract and you may have a change of taste or it really may not be for you. icon_wink.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:56pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

I have to ask, did you use unsalted or salted butter? It's gotta be unsalted. Also, I know most recipes say a tsp. of vanilla, but you really need to up that. I use 1 1/2 TBLS. vanilla extract and sometimes even a TBLS. vanilla extract with a TBLS. of vanilla paste. It makes a world of difference. I don't care for American buttercream, cause it is just so sweet. I like it even less if it is shortening base. But I say try IMBC one more time using more extract and you may have a change of taste or it really may not be for you. icon_wink.gif




Me too. I second the addition of much more vanilla than the recipe tells you to add. I sometimes freeze it unflavored and when it comes to room temperature, on the second whipping, I add the flavors. I add it a little at a time, wait for it to be absorbed, and add some more. I've also used melted jams, melted white chocolate, coconut milk...The possibilities are endless. But you do have to flavor it. I never had anyone not like it. Then again, maybe it's just not for you. I hate mushrooms...no matter what people tell me.

Maybe it will grow on you, little by little. Sometimes we just have to get used to certain things.

The greatest thing is that you have mastered them. Someone at some point will request it and you'll be ready.

CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:14pm
post #7 of

I used unsalted butter. That's all I ever buy! I also did increase the vanilla as I found it to plain. My biggest problem was the butter. I think I may play with it and see if I can adjust the butter amount. I guess at this point I should say that the taste wasn't necessarily bad, just the butter left this weird, heavy aftertaste that actually made me nauseous.

But I am glad I can make it. It was actually really easy, and it came out perfect on my first attempt. I tried different flavours in the hopes that it would be tastier, but no luck. Oh well. I'll stick to buttercream, and have that as an option!

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:32pm
post #8 of

You didn't use the Toba Garrett's recipe, right? That one has almost double the butter, I think. Although the method is the same, sometimes some recipes have just too much butter.

CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:35pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

You didn't use the Toba Garrett's recipe, right? That one has almost double the butter, I think. Although the method is the same, sometimes some recipes have just too much butter.




I found a recipie with 2 cups of butter. I've been playing with that. It has 6 eggs in it. Is that a good ratio? Will additional sugar in the egg whites help? (It had 1/4 cup)

fabray13 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm

Imbc is all I make. I think the grainy texture of american bc is gross. I use sylvia winestocks recipe. It has 3 lbs of buttery goodness! Although when I half the recipe, I only use 1 lb. of butter.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm

I make my IMBC with:
6 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

1 lb (4 sticks of butter)
(which I think is 2 cups?)

Looks like we have the same recipe.

Toba Garrett's SMBC recipe has 3 lbs of butter for 10 egg whites...which I think would make it a total of 1 lb of butter. That's why I was asking.

You can certainly add more sugar if you'd rather have it sweeter. I've added 1/2 cup of the sugar to the egg whites after they're glossy (that's when they say to add it).

StephW Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:50pm

For SMBC I use a 1 - 2 - 3 recipe. 1 part egg whites to 2 parts sugar to 3 parts butter. So it would look like this:

4 ounces egg whites
8 ounces sugar
12 ounces butter

Not sure of the proportions for IMBC.

I do agree that the flavoring needs to be strong and I also think that it should be served at room temp. If it's cold it won't taste right.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:04pm

That's about the same thing as the IMBC recipe. Most of them are very similar.

4 oz egg whites
8 oz sugar
12 oz butter

If you add 2 oz to each one, you get
6 oz egg whites
10 oz sugar (1 1/4 cup)
14 oz butter

Which leaves my IMB minus 2 oz of butter. That means Calhauns Cakery could take 2 oz butter off the batch without getting into trouble.

I once put all the recipes on a spreadsheet so that I could compare. Once I did the math they were very similar in the amounts even if they started with 4 oz of egg whites as opposed to 6 oz. That's when I saw that Toba's had 1 extra lb of butter per double batch, or 1/2 lb butter per batch.

IMBC and SMBC are the same thing, you arrive at the same product, just use a different method. So I can use the ingredients amounts interchangeably. I'd rather make IMBC, though. It's easier for me, now.

cindy333 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:11pm

I prefer the faux IMBC, recently did it for wedding cupcakes, it went over really well!

SweetSuzieQ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:17pm

I made french buttercream for the first time yesterday and, at first when I tasted, it was overwhelmingly buttery but, I found as I contined to mix it, the butter taste became less overpowering. Maybe you could mix yours further to see if it helps? I also put lemon juice in mine which I found cut the sweetness and richness.

AnotherCaker Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:27pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy333

I prefer the faux IMBC, recently did it for wedding cupcakes, it went over really well!


What's that?

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:35pm

I saw your cupcakes, SweetSuzieQ, very nice. They look yummy.

CalhounsCakery, here's another recipe for you. It's Ron Ben Israel's white chocolate blackberry swiss meringue buttercream. He uses it a lot in his cakes. Because he adds melted white chocolate to it, as well as raspberry puree (or any other kind of puree) it tastes a lot less than butter.

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/today-ron-has-allowed-me-to-share-a-few-recipes/

And there's this IMBC (also with white chocolate):

http://www.pastrychef.com/Wedding-Cake_ep_48.html

As you can see, the secret is in the flavoring. And yes, like SweetSuzieQ said, I've heard about mixing further.

CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:35pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

That's about the same thing as the IMBC recipe. Most of them are very similar.

4 oz egg whites
8 oz sugar
12 oz butter

If you add 2 oz to each one, you get
6 oz egg whites
10 oz sugar (1 1/4 cup)
14 oz butter

Which leaves my IMB minus 2 oz of butter. That means Calhauns Cakery could take 2 oz butter off the batch without getting into trouble.


I once put all the recipes on a spreadsheet so that I could compare. Once I did the math they were very similar in the amounts even if they started with 4 oz of egg whites as opposed to 6 oz. That's when I saw that Toba's had 1 extra lb of butter per double batch, or 1/2 lb butter per batch.

IMBC and SMBC are the same thing, you arrive at the same product, just use a different method. So I can use the ingredients amounts interchangeably. I'd rather make IMBC, though. It's easier for me, now.




That means I could take 1/4 cup out of my recipie. I should try that.

CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I saw your cupcakes, SweetSuzieQ, very nice. They look yummy.

CalhounsCakery, here's another recipe for you. It's Ron Ben Israel's white chocolate blackberry swiss meringue buttercream. He uses it a lot in his cakes. Because he adds melted white chocolate to it, as well as raspberry puree (or any other kind of puree) it tastes a lot less than butter.

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/today-ron-has-allowed-me-to-share-a-few-recipes/

And there's this IMBC (also with white chocolate):

http://www.pastrychef.com/Wedding-Cake_ep_48.html

As you can see, the secret is in the flavoring. And yes, like SweetSuzieQ said, I've heard about mixing further.




I love white chocolate strawberry buttercream. I'll have to try that as IMBC. I'll also mix it longer, thanks SweetSuzieQ. I'm willing to try it until it's perfect!

cindy333 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm

Faux IMBC is made with marshmallow cfream {fluff}, icing sugar, pinch of salt, vanilla. You can make it in about 7 minutes. So much quicker and easier. I can't tell the difference. I got the recipe off cc last year sometime, it's great.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I saw your cupcakes, SweetSuzieQ, very nice. They look yummy.




Thanks. I've been baking for a while but, am a relative newb with a piping bag so, I love any chance to practice! LOL

Jess155 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm

I make SMBC (pretty much the same as IMBC) but it was way to buttery for my taste. Instead of 4 sticks of butter, I now make it with 2 1/2 sticks. It turns out just as beautiful and it tastes like heaven!

scp1127 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:34am

I exclusively use FBC/IMBC/SMBC (plus cooked custard based frostings). I think vanilla is the trickiest because the butter does stand out. I use a generous amount of vanilla bean paste and the most wonderful homemade vanilla extract. Together, it is really good, but my least used flavor. The beauty of all three of these is their ability to take on flavorings. When flavored properly and paired with a great cake, the flavors meld together and create an overall great dessert. It is not overly sweet, but in my experience, those customers who like ABC do not compare it to ABC, it's just a totally different taste experience. Except for the vanilla, not a trace of butter flavor remains in my buttercreams. I have honestly never had someone dislike these buttercreams.

Be sure to use the best flavorings because it will ruin the product. Even some pure extracts have an odd taste and cheaper chocolate will make it just ok.

My favorites are spirits and liqueurs... Godiva, Frangelico, Chambord, Kahlua, Bailey's, Advocat, and my greatest buttercream accomplishment, Absinthe. It actually tastes incredible.

I use muscovado sugar for caramel, fine chocolate, gourmet jams, fruit purees, and so much more. In each case, you taste the flavor.

CalhounsCakery Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:46pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I exclusively use FBC/IMBC/SMBC (plus cooked custard based frostings). I think vanilla is the trickiest because the butter does stand out. I use a generous amount of vanilla bean paste and the most wonderful homemade vanilla extract. Together, it is really good, but my least used flavor. The beauty of all three of these is their ability to take on flavorings. When flavored properly and paired with a great cake, the flavors meld together and create an overall great dessert. It is not overly sweet, but in my experience, those customers who like ABC do not compare it to ABC, it's just a totally different taste experience. Except for the vanilla, not a trace of butter flavor remains in my buttercreams. I have honestly never had someone dislike these buttercreams.

Be sure to use the best flavorings because it will ruin the product. Even some pure extracts have an odd taste and cheaper chocolate will make it just ok.

My favorites are spirits and liqueurs... Godiva, Frangelico, Chambord, Kahlua, Bailey's, Advocat, and my greatest buttercream accomplishment, Absinthe. It actually tastes incredible.

I use muscovado sugar for caramel, fine chocolate, gourmet jams, fruit purees, and so much more. In each case, you taste the flavor.




What recipe do you use? It sounds like you've got this turned into an art!

CalhounsCakery Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 12:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

I make SMBC (pretty much the same as IMBC) but it was way to buttery for my taste. Instead of 4 sticks of butter, I now make it with 2 1/2 sticks. It turns out just as beautiful and it tastes like heaven!




How many eggs does your recipe take? I'd love to give it a try.

FACSlady Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:08pm

It's twice the work, but I mix IMBC 50/50 with American Buttercream and everyone likes it much better than just one or the other. The IMBC cuts the sweetness and the ABC cuts the buttery flavor.

Jess155 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

I make SMBC (pretty much the same as IMBC) but it was way to buttery for my taste. Instead of 4 sticks of butter, I now make it with 2 1/2 sticks. It turns out just as beautiful and it tastes like heaven!



How many eggs does your recipe take? I'd love to give it a try.




I use 6 egg whites, 1 C. sugar, 2 1/2 sticks of butter, pinch of salt, and high quality vanilla (or whatever flavor) to taste.

vicki3336 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:46pm

This is why I love this site. I only bake for my family and friends and am always looking for the best ingredients. I'd never heard of muscovado sugar or Asbinthe until scp1127's post. I love learning new things. Thanks scp1127...I always look forward to your posts.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm

OK, silly question..I'm doing IMBC tonight and, want to use the recipe here of:

4 oz egg whites
8 oz sugar
12 oz butter

I don't have a scale so, I'm guesing this works out to:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup egg whites
1.5 cups butter

Sound right???

SweetSuzieQ Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:44pm

And do I not add water to the sugar when I do the syrup?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%