Zebra Print And Dolphins???

Decorating By ahfronk Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm by simplysouthern

ahfronk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahfronk Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

People like to be dufficult, don't they?? I have a request for a three tier birthday cake that has zebra print and dolphins, they want black, white, purple and lime green colors and I am drawing a blank on how to make this cohesive?? Any suggestions? Thanks a million! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 7

You could go abstract... round cake, bottom tier black and white zebra stripes middle tier solid purple so you can put the birthday girls name or leave blank, top tier lime green with black fondant cutout dolphin shapes placed around the sides, staggered to look like their swimming around the top tier!

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 7

Colors sound nice to work with. I'm thinking bottom tier start with black zebra stripes (white cake) than middle tier make them purpple and top tier light blue to where they start to look like water waves as it goes up. than use your lime green for borders and other decorations. and of course on top tier put your dolphins icon_smile.gif tha's what comes to my mind! wish I could draw it be much easier to explain. Good Luck!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

I really have nothing to add except when did zebra cakes become all the rage (I've had 5 requests in the past three months) and where did it start? Was there a Disney film? Was there one featured among the cake shows on TV? And why are they usually paired with neon colors like hot pink and electric green and shocking purple? I know I'm an old lady who doesn't get out much (my grandneice had to explain the Tangled reference) Can someone explain this trend?

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 7

Moovaughan - that idea sounds so pretty!!!

OP - please post pics of the final cake... icon_smile.gif

ahfronk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahfronk Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help guys! I had a mental block thinking of zebras and dolphins together. But, thanks to you all, I got over the idea of the actual animals together, and realized it's just a girly cake with dolphins. zebra print is girly, so it all worked out together just fine. :0) (does that even make sense??) Anyway, here is the finished product.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2115739

The client changed their mind yet again and did away with the lime green and decided to go with blues and some turquoise which worked out better for the design anyway. :0)

Thanks again, all![/code]

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 7

Ohhhh you did a great job I bet the birthday girl LOVED it!! I really love your bow tooicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%