Cake Decoration Class : How To ?

Business By claribou Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm by SteveJ

claribou Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:34am
post #1 of 2

I'm in the process of starting a cake decorating class. I've received many requests and there is absolutely no class in a 100miles radius.

Now, how shoud I proceed ? I have many questions :

- how much should I charge ?
- do I need to have printed notes ?
- should I include materiel in the price or is it better to have students buy the materiel themselves ?
- what should I teach for a newbie class ?
- how many students at once ?
- what are the do's and dont's ?

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

1 reply
SteveJ Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Isabelle,

I'm a novice baker and have just finished my first cake decorating course so i thought i would tell you about what i liked/found useful from my recent experience of a course!

My course did have printed notes and i think that they are useful! there were lots of things mentioned in class and i would never have remembered them all! i also think that there are quite a few things that experienced decorators skip over or assume novices like me know and so detailed notes definately helped me fill in the gaps! they were nothing special; just hand drawn diagrams and printed text! but if you can make them look more professional then i would be really impressed!

the course i went on included materials in the price. i do think this was a good idea because if you left it up to us to bring in our own stuff people will bring in the wrong stuff or forget! However, my course was run at a local food college so they had vast stocks of icing, colours, marzipan etc that they would have bought in bulk anyway. i have to admit that when looking for a course to go on i looked for one with the materials included as i was unsure of how much it would cost on top of the course fee if i had to buy equipment/supplies myself!

my class was 17 students (which actually made it quite hard to see the demonstration at the front!). i think no more than 15 (depending on how big your class room is too!)

the things that we went through are as follows;
- marzipan models of animals/teddies etc (i thought this was really good as it was simpler than i thought and had never done it before! it also gave me something to take home after the first week to show off! (simple things eh?))
- modelling roses out of sugarpaste (again i thought this was great and i have already used this on cakes!)
- marzipaning and royal icing round and square cakes (even though this was useful it took up lots of time and as we did it on cake dummies our work was just taken off at the end of the class!)
- Marzipan fruits (only spent a bit of time on this but i again it gave me something to take home!)
- Piping with royal icing (the teacher had all the piping tips for us to use and we went through basic shells and scrolls to writing and even piping flowers and leaves and creating our own flower filled basket!)
- Runouts (i have used this since so found it quite useful but not sure everyone in the class enjoyed this bit as it seemed a lit old fashioned!)
- using roll out icing to cover cakes (again quite basic and i had done it before but the teacher had some good hints and tips that i now use to help me!)
- the final two weeks we got to decorate our own cakes!

it was a 10 week course in all (2 and a half hours per session... i was knacked after that!)

the course was great for playing with tools and materials that i had never had chance to before! i guess you could call it quite old fashioned and i would have liked to do some more modern/vibrant/bold designs or ideas but it was great for the basics. as long as you seem organised (a list of things that you will cover on the course or a timetable if the course runs over several weeks would be good, and some printed notes!) you probably know best regarding supplies and equipment so i wouldn't leave it up to the students to buy things themselves! and as long as they have something to take home occassionally then they will be happy (well i was anyway!)

Steve icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%