Argh! Someone Talk Me Off The Cake Ledge

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 23 Mar 2014 , 11:52pm by J Baby

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 23

So we have a ton of people coming over Saturday for my boys' birthday (1 and 3). I've been trying and trying to wrap my head around this cake and I can't do it. I've never had a mental cake block before and I'm already way behind in making this thing. If someone doesn't help me, I'm likely to do something drastic like go to Walmart. Help!

Here's the story. My three year old wants superheros (specifically Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman). My plan had been for a three tier cake (12 inches, 9, 6) and I was going to make 2D gumpaste figures of the three for the top of the cake. At the bottom, I was going to draw my kids as superheros....and then figure out what I was actually going to do on the tiers. Great plan, huh? Grrr.

So, I managed to find 7 inch tall action figures for Batman, Superman and WW. My husband tells me that will be so much easier than drawing the figures and the 3 year old will love them. Fine. Now I have them and have no idea what to do with them.

THey are too tall to go on a 6 inch top tier so I think I'm down to 12 and 9 inch tiers. I'm thinking of putting them on the top and maybe making a HAll of Justice on the bottom with hand drawn superheros fighting villians on the bottom layer.

I can't "see" any of it and I'm beyond irritated and frustrated. Any ideas? I'll send you a piece of cake! LOL

22 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 23

Wow, that is quite a request. I think the the idea you have sounds like a great place to start. I don't have an idea, but I sure would like to see what ideas others have.

Sandy

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:57am
post #3 of 23

Take a short break from working on the cake. Go search the galleries for super heroes and save the ones you like, and when you are through looking, go back and make notes about what you like or don't like about the ones you saved and make yourself a quick drawing and then go back and start working again. That works for me all the time. Sometimes I don't even have to do a quick sketch, it will just fall into place in my mind.

Don't let it get you down, we all have times like that. Sometimes the cake just won't do what you want it to do (yesterday was a day like that for me - heat and humidity was killing my cake icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Hope that helps!
Pam

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #4 of 23

Do your figurines bend like to sit? You could sit them in on the edge/ledge of the cake all together in front? Or standing on the edge of the bottom tier against the side of the cake above? hmmm trying to think!
icon_smile.gif

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #5 of 23

I love your ideas.. the hall of justice sounds really cool... I did a superhero cake once and had the figures standing on the rooftop and spiderman climbing up the side with royal icing webs and the batman signal coming out of the top... I can't wait to see the finished product! Have fun with it, your kids will love anything anyway!

Bellatheball Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:26am
post #6 of 23

Thanks all. Here are some photos that might help make more sense of my question. (I never get photos to work so here goes nothing!)
[/img]

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:27am
post #7 of 23

How about something simple, like your large bottom tier carved in the shape of a superman logo ... Maybe make a collage on that tier of superhero emblems (one corner covered in spider webs, another in bats, etc). I would just stand the figurines all around the bottom tier. You can even paint the logos onto it, making it easy and versatile, and you have the advantage of giving your kiddo the action figures.

Good luck!

Bellatheball Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 23

The figures don't bend well enough to sit. That would make things easier!

I'm trying to upload photos with no help and Flickr seems to be on strike too. Getting closer to Walmart........

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #9 of 23

you can always just make a large board and place the figures on the bottom! my idea, to make things more complex icon_lol.gif, would be to make your two tiers look like a city...they all are super heros protecting the city, right? icon_biggrin.gif you could do something simple like make a gumpaste plaque for the top that says "We've stopped by your city to wish you a Happy # Birthday (Name)" in like a talking bubble icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #10 of 23

btw, DON'T GO TO WALMART! icon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

you can always just make a large board and place the figures on the bottom! my idea, to make things more complex icon_lol.gif, would be to make your two tiers look like a city...they all are super heros protecting the city, right? icon_biggrin.gif you could do something simple like make a gumpaste plaque for the top that says "We've stopped by your city to wish you a Happy # Birthday (Name)" in like a talking bubble icon_wink.gif

That is a great idea.

step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

That is a great idea.

well thank you icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bellatheball Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #13 of 23

I like it too! I'm going to run with it! Thanks.

step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:32am
post #14 of 23

ok then! icon_lol.gif good luck!

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 23

Thats a cute idea step0nmi. Where were you during the superhero theme of the Austin's " That Takes the Cake show" ? thumbs_up.gif

Bellatheball Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 23

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2113369

Here it is. I just could not wrap my head around this cake. I had wanted something lighter and something that reflected the campiness of the 80s version of the cartoon. In the end, I didn't have time to do the figures justice so I bought action figures. They were more menacing so I went way darker than intended.

Doesn't it figure I could finally "see" the original idea in my head the day after the cake was eaten? Sigh.

step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 23

I think you're being too hard on yourself...i made a comment already icon_biggrin.gif

Bellatheball Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:30am
post #18 of 23

Thanks step0nmi. I can't see the comment on the photo but I appreciate it!

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:48am
post #19 of 23

you did a very good job!!!!

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #20 of 23

it looks great!

J Baby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J Baby Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 23

A

Original message sent by Bellatheball

So we have a ton of people coming over Saturday for my boys' birthday (1 and 3). I've been trying and trying to wrap my head around this cake and I can't do it. I've never had a mental cake block before and I'm already way behind in making this thing. If someone doesn't help me, I'm likely to do something drastic like go to Walmart. Help!

Here's the story. My three year old wants superheros (specifically Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman). My plan had been for a three tier cake (12 inches, 9, 6) and I was going to make 2D gumpaste figures of the three for the top of the cake. At the bottom, I was going to draw my kids as superheros....and then figure out what I was actually going to do on the tiers. Great plan, huh? Grrr.

So, I managed to find 7 inch tall action figures for Batman, Superman and WW. My husband tells me that will be so much easier than drawing the figures and the 3 year old will love them. Fine. Now I have them and have no idea what to do with them.

THey are too tall to go on a 6 inch top tier so I think I'm down to 12 and 9 inch tiers. I'm thinking of putting them on the top and maybe making a HAll of Justice on the bottom with hand drawn superheros fighting villians on the bottom layer.

I can't "see" any of it and I'm beyond irritated and frustrated. Any ideas? I'll send you a piece of cake! LOL

7031annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7031annie Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:18pm
post #22 of 23

It came out awesome.

J Baby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J Baby Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:52pm
post #23 of 23

AAww that is so nice to hear,good job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%