Half Sheet Cake Platter

Decorating By joycetyler Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 1:27am by WeezyS

joycetyler Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #1 of 8

Folks,

I have been trying to find a decent platter for my half sheet size cakes. The cardboard sheets you can get (Wilton, etc.) are barely big enough for the cake and very flimsy with a heavy cake. Has anyone suggestions? I have looked online, at party stores, Crate and Barrel, etc. No luck.

7 replies
QueDeeCakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:40am
post #2 of 8

You can buy half sheet drums from baking supply stores. Global Sugar Art may sell them.

cakestyles Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:45am
post #3 of 8

There are a few different options. Masonite boards are really strong and you can cover them with foil or fondant. Here's a link to what I'm talking about, they come in all different sizes.

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/masonitecakeboards.aspx

You can also buy foil cake drums that are about 1/2" thick, they'll support your sheet cakes fine.

You can also double or triple the Wilton boards and than cover them with foil or fondant and put a ribbon on the edge.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #4 of 8

I like the masonite boards too.....

winny01 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8

I use foam core board cut to size. You can cover with fondant or decorative paper.

shanter Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 8

Ha ha ha ha. That site says "For supporting heavy tired cakes"--I thought it was the baker who was tired by the time it was done, not the cake!

Gettin' silly in Seattle,
shanter

johnson6ofus Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of 8

Whole sheet (4 feet by 8 feet) of masonite board at Home Depot is like $15. Each cut is 50 cents. For really CHEAP you can have all kinds of sizes (rectangles) ... lots cheaper than buying precut boards.

WeezyS Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

I make my own. Go to Lowe's or a hardware store that sells wood products. Buy some masonite or cheap fiber board. You cut it out, or get someone else to that has a jigjaw. You can get several boards out of one piece. Just cover them with foil.
They are very sturdy and much cheaper to do it this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%