Hi Ratio Shortening....how Long Will It Keep

Decorating By sarahokie Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 2:38am by vicki3336

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have found a place locally (OKC, OK) that sells Sweetex and am dying to try it. I am only a hobby baker and don't do that many cakes. Can I freeze the shortening to make it last longer? How long is it supposed to keep?

I can't order smaller quantities online because it is too hot right now and need it for a family wedding cake next month. Too bad I don't know anyone I could split it with...

7 replies
scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 8

With my unscientific 2 cents here, I can say I bought a box of Sweetex Dec 2010 and it looks and functions in the same way today as the day I eagerly opened the box. It lives on the floor in the pantry, faithfully awaiting its next assignment. I'm a hobby baker and in 7 months, have used about 1/3 of it. I sure hope it lasts forever (or at least until I use it up).

I'll give you a bump for an official answer.

I just took a look and the box has a 1 888 404 1004 phone # for questions/comments.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 8

I, too, am a hobby baker and when I received my 50 pound package of Sweetex three years ago, I divided it up into smaller bags, vacuum sealed them and put them in the freezer. The last batch I thawed was just as fresh as the first. I ran out a couple of months ago and didn't think to order before it got so hot. BIG mistake!

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks guys. Wow, Vicki, three years! That is impressive. And makes me feel better that maybe I won't be wasting $$ on shortening I can't use up.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 8

I use hi-ratio shortening and I do not think I would let it sit for 3 years at room temp. I would think that it would be getting old and changing color, to an ivory instead of the normal white color. I would think it would be like Crisco when it goes bad, smells ugly and looks it too. I take and put it into large plastic container, like 5 pound size, and after putting the lid on I freeze it. This way it will last a loooong time, but like other things in the freezer I'm not sure 3 years would still be ideal. Perhaps someone out there has an opinion of the shelf life.
evelyn
I have kept it frozen for a little over a year and had no problems.

vicki3336 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't leave it at room temperature that long either. But in the vacuum sealed bags and in my freezer, there was no color change or odor.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 8

Ask your supplier, they'll be able to advise you.

I purchased it one time from a baker's wholesaler nearby and they told me it is only safe for 6 months at room temperature and 1 year in the fridge.

They didn't advise me to freeze it because they said they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't change the structure of the shortening.

I haven't bought it again because I only use a small amt in my bc in the warm months and I ended up tossing more than half of it, so it was a waste of money for me.

vicki3336 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 8

That's interesting cakestyles. I guess I just got lucky. I'll make sure I use the next order faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%