Advice About Selling Cupcakes?

Business By Lady_Snape Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 8:27pm by Lady_Snape

Lady_Snape Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone - this is my first post! Yay!

Anyway. I've recently been baking cupcakes for fun and spending twice as long decorating them as they took to bake. I hadn't really thought about selling them but all of my friends and family keep saying I should sell them and they'd love to buy them.

I'm nowhere near good enough to start a legit business, nor do I have the funds available. How many cupcakes can I sell or how much profit can I bring in before I'm required to get a license or whatever? Even if I'm just selling 15 or 20 cupcakes do I need any kind of permit? I'd be baking out of my home kitchen.

I live in South Carolina if that helps. Also if there are other threads I've missed about this topic, please let me know. I don't wanna start cluttering up the boards with already discussed topics.

3 replies
jason_kraft Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 4

SC does not have a cottage food law, so you would not be able to legally charge for food products made in your home kitchen. To legally sell products you would need to find commercial kitchen space and get inspected -- some areas have facilities available you can rent by the hour, or you can try to make a deal with a local restaurant or church kitchen.

leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 4

How many cupcakes can you sell before you have to get licensed? Well, the correct answer is, one.

Lady_Snape Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

Okay, thanks so much guys. I had a few friends suggest I just "keep it on the down low" but that's just not something I'm willing to try, you know?

So glad I asked first. Is there a website I can visit that has the basics of all this? I'm so new it's not even funny and I really don't want to do something wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%